Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Front and back usb 3.0 wont work

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Judahhiphop

Judahhiphop

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:11 PM

I recently built a new computer using a MSI H97 gaming series motherboard and the case I am using is NZXT phantom full tower. I cannot get my front and back USB 3.0 slots to work there is one in the front and four in the back I have a WD My Passport external hard drive and it works in the USB 2.0 slots but not in the 3.0. Before anyone suggests it I have already tried to update the drivers through the device manager I have made sure that the USB 3.0 plug is firmly in the motherboard for the one in the front. The light on my external drive comes on but it just doesn't show up in my computer. Here is what is listed in my device manager under Universal serial bus controllers.
Asetek USB device
Generic USB hub (x2)
Intel® USB 3.0 extensible host controller
Intel ® USB 3.0 root hub
Standard enhanced PCI to USB host controller(x2)
USB composite device(x2)
USB root hub

I've searched online for a solution and could not find one. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2014 - 09:40 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 softskills

softskills

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:35 PM

Hi, I was just wondering a few things. That you're aware of, the port has not been damage, correct? And there are no error messages on your device manager for the USB?

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:51 PM

Sometimes you have to go into the bios and enable it.

#4 Judahhiphop

Judahhiphop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:12 PM

I'm not getting any error messages in the device manager. Also in my MSI motherboard bios under USB configuration it says I have two drives three keyboards one mouse into hubs for some reason but it says the USB controller is enabled, external USB power control enabled, XHCIhand off enabled , EHCI handoff enabled and legacy USB support enabled. Thats all that there is in the usb config. How would i enable them though through bios?

#5 softskills

softskills

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:36 PM

I found this article from http://smallbusiness.chron.com/turn-usb-port-bios-53618.html

Step 4

Use the arrow key to select "Advanced," "Onboard Devices" or "Integrated Peripherals" from the menu. Press "Enter."

Step 5

Select "USB Controller." Press "+" or "-" to change the setting to "Enabled."

Step 6

Press "F10" to enable the USB ports and exit the BIOS.

Hope this helps.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:05 PM

Every bios will be slightly different. IE: on my system there is a couple places for USB settings.

-Advanced, USB Configuration

USB (enable)

USB controller (enable)

Legacy (auto)

USB controller mode (Fullspeed 12Mbps/Hispeed 480Mbps) Hispeed enabled.  Yes, they spelled it that way :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Advanced, Onboard devices configuration

USB 3.0 controller (Enabled)

#7 Judahhiphop

Judahhiphop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:26 PM

I did this and everything was already enabled it seems but i saved and restarted anyway and it still doesnt work. B
I did this and everything was already enabled it seems but i saved and restarted anyway and it still doesnt work.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:37 PM

I went throught the manual and could not anything related to USB 3.0 enable. It seems USB3.0 may be non-funtional on the board. Your Device Manager Devices look right. The Intel 3.0 Host controller is what should be shown. The only thing I can think of is to install the latest version from Intel here. You want the first one for the Series 9 chipset. You installed your chipset drivers, correct? If not, I would do that first.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:23 PM

I went and checked out MSI's forum and it seem's you're not alone in gobs of "USB 3.0 not working" posts they have there. As suggested By John next best thing to do it update the bios, chipset, drivers etc. If none of those work then you probably have to contact MSI support for a RMA return approval. IMO You should not have this much of a problem getting 3.0 working. Even without drivers it should be doing something right out of the box. I assume there is a partially failed controller on this motherboard or some really shoddy driver support. In either case the USB 3.0 is broke :unsure:

#10 Judahhiphop

Judahhiphop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:23 AM

ok. interesting update.  i did the msi live update after installing that program and updated my drivers for everything including a new version of bios.  i also called the msi customer support and he directed me to the usb 3.o driver for my specific motherboard. now along with all those drivers under universal serial bus controllers, i have added intel® 9 series chipset family USB enhanced host controller - 8CA6 and intel® 9 series chipset family USB enhanced host controller - 8CAD.  Then i tried plugging my iphone 5c into the usb 3.0 slots (which i have never done before) and it comes up fine and can load in itunes and everything.  Now im not sure if the drivers being installed did this or if its just a faulty external because my external drive still wont plug into the 3.0 slots.  Yet when i plug it into the 2.0 slot it says this device can perform faster.  My iphone works on  all 3.0 slots though.  what is wrong with my external drive? i kinda want this to be plugged into the 3.0 since there is a lot of data that needs to be moved on it.  Thanks for all your help so far by the way. but does anyone have suggestions about the external? again its a WD 500 gigabyte my passport. also not sure if the cable for my iphone is really a 3.0 usb cable.  i know they are backwards compatable with 2.0  but it seems like a good sign that the slots arent burnt out or anything. it seems like a software issue now.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:06 AM

I would try a replacement cable for the WD drive.

#12 Judahhiphop

Judahhiphop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:57 AM

Replacement did not work.

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

USB3 is still new and troublesome. The passport has to be usb3 and a usb3 cable. Usb3 is twice the wiring because it's full duplex (send/recieve) at same time versus usb2 which is half duplex. The usb3 ports is also higher miliamps 400 vs 900. You may get better performance with a 2.0 device on a 3.0 port, simply because it's better architectural design.

#14 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:23 AM

Did the passport come with software/drivers?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:45 AM

take a look at this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users