Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe - Application Error

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny.

Johnny.

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:55 AM

svchost.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x1000054a8" referenced memory at "0x0073006b". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Usually occurs on the startup of my computer, aswell as when you load up your user, is there a solution for this? If I do press OK and try to play a song in WinAmp it says the sound card or something is missing. So why does this happen and how can I fix this?

However this actually occurs during the loading of the computer it asks me to choose one of the following:

Windows XP Professional (bootscreen)
Windows XP Professional

And I always choose the bottom one. What does it mean by bootscreen.
Finally, when I turn off my computer it appears to be off, but the tower itself is still running.

How can I fix these various problems?

Edited by Johnny., 15 June 2006 - 12:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:32 AM

Have you reinstall XP of late?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Johnny.

Johnny.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:56 AM

Have you reinstall XP of late?

What do you mean?

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:40 PM

I think Acklan is trying to determine if you have recently re-installed Windows XP without re-installing your soundcard drivers.

I suspect a problem with your soundcard, but it may or may not be drivers - it could be failing. But first, check your Device Manager to see if the drivers for your soundcard appear to be intact. Do you hear any system sounds at startup? If you hear no sound from your system, open System Properties by pressing the Windows Key and the Pause Key at the same time. Click on the Hardware tab and then the Device Manager button.

Find your sound card. It should be under Sound, Video and Game Controllers. Right-click on it and choose Properties. It should tell you if it is working properly. Even if it is, it's possible that the card is failing and/or the drivers have become corrupted. But it's a place to start.

Svchost.exe is a generic name for Windows Services running under the Service Host program. As new services are started in Windows, new svchost entries are opened. You can have several at the same time.

#5 mechmaker

mechmaker

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:29 PM

i also have winamp and i get that message sometimes. go to options then preferences and under plug-ins you'll see output, make sure your directsound output is set to your correct sound device. Sometimes it reverts and you get a message like the one you recieved. :thumbsup:
"Infection is the death's second cousin next to disease."

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:44 PM

Herk is right. I notice the you have two instances of XP in your boot menu. That usually only happens if Windows was not completely removed before the new install had started.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Johnny.

Johnny.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:13 PM

Herk is right. I notice the you have two instances of XP in your boot menu. That usually only happens if Windows was not completely removed before the new install had started.

Ooooh. So is there anyway to fix this? Meaning, what should I do to remove one of the instances, aswell as the application error because yeah I did install XP using my Computer Recovery Disk I believe its N Ghost or something like that.

Edited by Johnny., 16 June 2006 - 10:16 PM.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:51 PM

You need to do a full recovery again, choosing to format the disk and restore the original installation of Windows that your computer came with.

Disconnect all external connections for peripherals except the mouse and keyboard (connected to PS2 ports not USBs) and the monitor and involk the manufacturer's Syetem Restore ap which may well be Norton Ghost, follow instructions on screen to do a full, destructive restore.

Support at the manufacturer's site should have complete instructions detailing how to accomplish this should you need them, for instance Dell's can be found here:
How to do a Dell restore
For Dell computers
Dell PC Restore by Symantec is available on Dimension and Inspiron systems that shipped on or after 7/16/2004 in the Americas and 8/30/2004 in Europe.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&c=us&cs=&s=gen

Sony's here:
System Restore Interactive Tutorial
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/tutorial-dis...60f4332b140a457

There may be others for other manufacturers.

#9 Johnny.

Johnny.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:05 AM

You need to do a full recovery again, choosing to format the disk and restore the original installation of Windows that your computer came with.

Disconnect all external connections for peripherals except the mouse and keyboard (connected to PS2 ports not USBs) and the monitor and involk the manufacturer's Syetem Restore ap which may well be Norton Ghost, follow instructions on screen to do a full, destructive restore.

Could you explain it a bit more simpler, cause I don't know what a periphal is, and I don't know what a PS2 port is. Do you mean disconnect everything other than those connected to USB ports?

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:27 AM

A Peripheral is anything connected to your computer from the outside like a printer, a scanner, a usb hard drive, etc.

PS2 ports are the round ports to plug a mouse or keyboard into.
USB will not work until Windows finishes the installation so plugging a usb connected keyboard will not allow you to use it during bios setup, etc.

Boot with the manufacturer's Restore disk and choose format and install.

#11 Johnny.

Johnny.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:40 AM

A Peripheral is anything connected to your computer from the outside like a printer, a scanner, a usb hard drive, etc.

PS2 ports are the round ports to plug a mouse or keyboard into.
USB will not work until Windows finishes the installation so plugging a usb connected keyboard will not allow you to use it during bios setup, etc.

Boot with the manufacturer's Restore disk and choose format and install.

Ok I think I get it. So what do I have plugged in and what don't I have plugged in when formatting?

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:04 PM

The only things that should be plugged in are the monitor, and in the PS2 ports, the mouse and the keyboard.

No speakers, no printer, no scanner, no external drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users