Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98se Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tallahassee lassie

tallahassee lassie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:46 AM

Good morning to everyone. I am in a situation regarding Windows 98Se. I want Windows 98Se on my computer currently running windows 98 first. When I place the Windows 98SE CD in the cd-rom, clk on setup and begins to load down the files, I get a series of .dll files not found. like, riched.dll, riched20.dll, and a number of Rn* dll files. Is this normal? I am only upgrading, because I want to add a wireless card to my desktop, and requires windows 98se. This leads me to my second question. Will this SE edition change my mac or ipconfig /all structure. If the above files are necessary, can I go to google and download the missing files on my desktop from a free site. I wanted to let you know that when these missing .dll files came up, I skipped them and contiuned. Was this a bad idea? So, at this point, I was not comfortable with the SE install, so I am back to my original windows 98. Can anyone help me before I attempt another SE install. Thanks again, and talk later.

Always...Marion :thumbsup:
Keep on smiling---Mare

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:29 PM

Unless your SE disk is an actual "upgrade" version, I doubt you can upgrade by installing it. I'm not even sure that a Win 98 to 98SE upgrade exists - the upgrade versions were mainly to upgrade from 3.1 or 95. See here. Your best bet's to make sure you have drivers, save all you data, format the C: drive and start with a fresh install.

#3 tallahassee lassie

tallahassee lassie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:57 PM

Thank you Herk for your reply. I am not doing any upgrade, I have the Win 98SE Cd. Half-way through the install I receive these .dll messages indicating files not found on SE cd-rom. Is this ok. I skipped through these files, and the system came up. Clicking on system tools--system information, the box indicate's Windows 98 2222. or something like that. I just wanted to know if the .dll files are really necessary, and why they were not on the CD. I hope I am making some sense. I just want to be 100 per cent sure to load in the 98SE cd, to install my wireless card. Can you add any information, that would be helpful. Please be patient with me, I am learning ok...Always...Marion :thumbsup:
Keep on smiling---Mare

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:46 AM

Those files can be downloaded from DLL-Files.com. You may have a 98se CD that is damaged.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?riched20

I hope this was helpful. :thumbsup:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:42 AM

I am not doing any upgrade, I have the Win 98SE Cd. Half-way through the install I receive these .dll messages indicating files not found on SE cd-rom.

You can install an identical Windows 98 system over the top of an existing 98 system, but I do not believe it is possible to install 98 SE directly over the top of 98 first edition. 98SE was invented to fix problems in the original 98 and is not an identical operating system. It requires a clean install. If anyone has knowledge to the contrary, I'd certainly love to hear it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users