Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help - Random Blue Screen and computer crashes - error says faulty driver

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Shals

Shals

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:05 AM

Hello, for the past few years my computer (Windows 7 Premium) crashes randomly.  The blue screen appears.  When I restart it, everything seems fine, but then it crashes again.  The data dump refers to a faulty device driver.  I opened Device Manager and all of the drivers seem fine.  I am not sure what to do and do not want to start trying to clean this up on my own.

Any help to resolve this issue is greatly appreciated.

The last time my computer crashed, windows gave me this little error box on restarting.  The details are as follows-

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: d1

BCP1: FFFFF8A013899638

BCP2: 0000000000000002

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: FFFFF8800102E039

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\111014-38828-01.dmp

C:\Users\Squayo\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-139090-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Thank you and have a nice day..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:24 AM

Did you recently install any windows updates? If so, their optional driver suggestions could have been crappy. I've seen issues where the wireless stops working if you download their optional drivers for it.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#3 Shals

Shals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:42 PM

Hello - My computer has been set to update automatically. 

However, this issue has been going on for a couple of years and I have been working around it.  It started happening after the cablevision guy installed new software and a modem on my computer.  I tried uninstalling the stuff he put it in and reinstalling it but it did not help much.  Since then there have been more updates made (usual windows updates) and the system does seem to be a bit more stable - in that it does not crash as frequently as it used to.  However, it does still crash randomly at least once whenever I use it.

Any other suggestions?  Thanks a lot for taking your time to look into this.

#4 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:57 PM

Small things you could try:

Run System File Checker, this is a program thats part of windows itself and usually takes... 30 minutes? To Do So, please follow these steps

1.Click on the start button at the bottom left

2. Search for " cmd "

3. When you see the cmd box in the results, right click and click "Run As Administrator"

4. Next type: " sfc/scannow "

You could also try Windows Repair (All-In-One) incase there are a bunch of issues everywhere, this might help solve them as well

Please follow all the steps in the program, the last two tabs do not matter.

If you can take the computer into safemode before you run malwarebytes, it would be best. And.... while it does say optional for the malwarebytes scan and the system file checker, i highly urge you to run the scans, you never know if it could have an infection thats been giving you greif all this time.

If you need assistance, please let me know and ill try to get back to you.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 10 November 2014 - 09:55 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:18 PM

If the problem is not resolved....

Please zip and attach the file

C:\Windows\Minidump\111014-38828-01.dmp

to your next post Shals, and I will look at it for you. If you have a problem attaching the file you can use a file host like www.fileover.net and post the link.

TsVk!

#6 Shals

Shals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:36 PM

Hello wishmakingfairy and TsVk!!,

Thank you for both of your suggestions and feedback.  I ran the system file checker and got "No Integrity violations" at the end of the process.

I then ran malwarebytes in safe mode.  Got no threats.  Computer crashed during the restart.  I then downloaded Windows Repair from tweaking.com and went through all their steps and ran the repair (also in safe mode).  It did some repairs and generated a bunch of logs, which I can upload if you are interested in seeing them.  So far the computer has not crashed again.

So TsVk!, if it does crash agin, I will attach the minidump file.  Is that good?  Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks a lot for all your time, energy, generosity and good heartedness in helping me out.  Hopefully this will have sorted out the blue screen issue.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

You can attach the older .dmp now, if you would like me to look at it for you. :)

#8 Shals

Shals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:30 AM

Hello TsVK!,

I am trying to attach the files, but I get the message that "I cannot attach this kind of a file".  When I go to the link www.fileover.net that you suggested, my anti-malware software blocks the webpage.  I tried opening the files in notepad and it displays some strange characters.  Is there any other way to access and read these files?

Which part of the Police State of Australia do you live in? :tophat:  I have visited Melbourne and Sydney.

Thanks,

Shalini

#9 Shals

Shals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:19 AM

Hello there - I am back.  I downloaded a software called "WhoCrashed" and it read my dump files.  I have pasted below the report it generated - for all the crashes in November.  Not sure what to do next as it still does not identify the faulty driver.  However I have not seen the blue screen so far, after doing the PC repair (fingers crossed).  Here is the report info -

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 11/12/2014 3:55:15 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111214-39359-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (0xFFFFF88001088039)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF8A010186A18, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88001088039)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 11/12/2014 3:55:15 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: stflt.sys (stflt+0x1ED9)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF8A010186A18, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88001088039)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\stflt.sys
product: Spyware Terminator
company: Windows ® Win 7 DDK provider
description: Spyware Terminator filter driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: stflt.sys (Spyware Terminator filter driver, Windows ® Win 7 DDK provider).
Google query: Windows ® Win 7 DDK provider DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Mon 11/10/2014 1:27:51 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111014-38828-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (0xFFFFF8800102E039)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF8A013899638, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8800102E039)
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 11/9/2014 11:46:09 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\110914-48126-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (0xFFFFF88001005039)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF8A012839598, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88001005039)

On Sun 11/9/2014 11:10:11 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\110914-46893-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (0xFFFFF8800100E039)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF8A008186368, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8800100E039)

On Wed 11/5/2014 8:20:03 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\110614-58172-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (0xFFFFF88001081039)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF8A00EBF9D08, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88001081039)

Thanks a lot....

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:08 PM

Hi Shals,

I'm up in north Queensland in the tropics. Rainforest and mosquitoes.

Your anti-malware is blocking fileover because some people have exploited it to pass malicious files and copyrighted material to others, it is not a malicious site. But like all things that are unrestricted can be used wrongly.

You should be able to zip the .dmp's into an archive and then attach them to a message here, or alternatively find a file hosting site that your anti-malware likes. (not that any of them are truly safe if you are downloading files). Here is a list of file sharing sites. Or you can just add fileover as an exception to your antimalware software and use that.

TsVk!

#11 Pampao

Pampao

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:45 PM

Did you visit some suspicious website recently or downloaded some malware/virus maybe? Some of these tools can ruin PC performance and Windows "explorer.exe" file, one of main ones which keeps windows up and working. Try to scan your PC with some good antivirus tool.

Good like and hope you'll find solution soon :)

Regards,
Pampao

#12 Shals

Shals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:04 AM

Hello TsVk!

Thanks for the suggestions.  They worked and I have attached the last two mini dumps in zip format.

Any idea how good Microsoft's debugging tools are?  I downloaded the Windows Performance Toolkit that included the debugging tools along with something called .NET Framework 4 and Microsoft Visual C++ (not that I am developing any software her).  But I am not sure how to use these tools and they weren't very helpful in making sense of the minidump files.

Should I uninstall them or let them be?  I don't like having unnecessary software on my computer.

It will be great if you can make any sense of these files.  Thanks so much for all your help.

I visited the rainforest once during the Melbourne trip.  It is very beautiful.  Did not encounter any mosquitoes, thankfully.

Take care,

Shalini

Attached Files

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:58 PM

Hi Shals,

Microsoft debugging tools are excellent for looking at minidumps and understanding other errors further, they are what I use to look at minidumps. But it's not plug and play software, it does require quite a bit of prior knowledge to use. You are probably better off just uninstalling them to be honest.

Here's where I live... I know it's tough, but someone has to do it.

I'm home for the weekend now matey, but I will look at your dumps on Monday when I'm back with my machines.

TsVk!

#14 Shals

Shals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

The pictures are beautiful!!  Thank you for sharing them.  They brightened up my day.  Its cold, wet, rainy and damp here.  Yes it is a tough life for you!.  Enjoy it..

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:41 PM

Hi Shals,

Finally looked at your dumps. Please remove Spyware Terminator from your system. That should fix your problem.

As an alternative anti-spyware solution you could try SpyBot 2. The free version is well rated and has been around for years.

Cheers

TsVk!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users