Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dimension 3000 does not recognize optical drives or ethernet

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:11 AM

I am working on a Dimension 3000 running Windows 7 Home Premium sp1 32 bit with 2 gb ram.  It was badly infected so I reformatted it.  All seemed fine for a day or two except the integrated ethernet port was not responding.  I installed a pci 3com board.  both of them showed up in device manager as good but neither one would light up upon connecting the cord.  I then installed a usb network adapter and it works.  But now, neither optical drive works.  In control panel I show them but they will not read a cd or dvd.When I go into the bios and change the boot order for dvd boot it does not go there.  It just boots into windows.  The boot version is A01 and there is a boot version available ( A02 & A03)  I even tried the F12 to manually select it with same results.  The dvd worked fine on the re-install.  The os is working fine and I am activated and have run all my window updates successfully.  What am I missing?  Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:25 AM

Those older dells always seem to need to have the drivers installed after a fresh install, even if it is windows 7.

If you do have the driver, did you do an optional driver update for the network card? If so, you could try rolling back the driver in the device manager.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#3 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:25 AM

Thanks for the reply.  Where would the driver be?  I clicked on update driver in device mgr and it said the driver was fine. I could not find a driver for the add on card.  How can I restore the integrated port?  Would that be on the chipset driver from Dell?

#4 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:33 AM

Once in device manager, right click on your ethernet device, click properties, then click on the driver tab, if "Roll Back Driver" is clickable, this might solve your issue.

Here are two driver downloads, one of the two should help

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=0V62P&fileId=2731107455&osCode=WW1&productCode=dimension-3000&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=43JX1&fileId=2731108724&osCode=WW1&productCode=dimension-3000&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI

As for the optical disc....if it can be seen in the bios and be used to boot windows 7, im not sure why its able to be used in the os itself. Sorry

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 10 November 2014 - 10:35 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#5 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:06 PM

Thanks again...that driver fixed the issue with ethernet

Now I wonder if I need to flash the bios????

#6 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

You can try flashing the bios, or if you know anyone whos willing to let you try their cd drive in your computer, you can see if its possibly an issue with the drive itself.

#7 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:36 PM

I replaced the optical drive and all is well...thanks again

#8 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:41 PM

Anytime, glad to hear its working well for you ^-^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users