Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 sound problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 yellowdog5

yellowdog5

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:41 AM

My computer came with speakers that hook  up to usb.  I want to change them to some old speakers I have that hook up with a regular power cord, they work on my other computer but not on this one.  How do I make them work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 plextor33

plextor33

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:13 AM

What kind of speakers are the old ones? 

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:41 AM

Where are you plugging them into?

Sound on the motherboard? Sound card speaker port?

#4 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:43 AM

At the bottom right of the taskbar, right click on the speaker, click Playback devices, and make sure your device is selected as the default.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 10 November 2014 - 10:43 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#5 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:35 AM

plextor33 The speakers are JUSTer multimedia speakers SP-689.   GRITS I am plugging them into the green port on the motherboard.  wishmaking fairy I tried that but I don't know if my speakers even show on the window, I'm attaching a screenshotAttached File  Speakers.jpg   49.3KB   0 downloads

#6 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:07 PM

If you don't have any other sound card attached, and its only the motherboard audio, according to that picture you do have the speakers plugged into that jack and it is your default. If sound is not coming out, I'd maybe try downloading the drivers for it. Try playing a song and see if the little bars begin to dance inside that window with the devices. If it dances on other interface, try selecting that one.

Also, if no sound is present, you might want to look inside the computer (if it is a desktop computer) and see if the ac97 or hd audio cord is plugged in to the motherboard. I've had issues with the hd audio cable and always ended up using the ac97 since I was just using a two speaker stereo setup.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 10 November 2014 - 12:10 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#7 plextor33

plextor33

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:14 PM

When I formatted my computer, my left speaker would only sound then I installed the right drivers and clicked on properties:

right click speaker icon>click on properties

I then clicked onto each speaker displayed and could hear sound through both sides.

I think what wishmakingfairy is right about the drivers.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

Basic questions. You may or may not be surprised by the number of people who forget the basics.

1) Power cord firmly plugged into the electrical outlet?

2) Speakers turned ON?

3) Volume turned up?

4) Sound not muted?

Do you have another set of speakers or headphones to try? I suggest you do that if possible which will either rule out a dead sound card or confirm that it may be dead.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 November 2014 - 02:16 PM.

#9 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:17 PM

The USB speakers work when plugged in to the green port, but none of my speakers with power cords work, I have tried both sets.

#10 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:52 PM

Sorry to still be at a simple level when I ask this:

1. Are the other speakers plugged into a power strip or socket by themselves?

--If In a power strip, try a socket, if in a socket, try another around the house that you know works--

2. Can you verify, maybe with your phone/mp3 player that while those speakers are plugged in, they can project sound from the other devices?

--If so, move to step 3, if not, try replacing your 3.5mm stereo cable--

3. If they can produce sound from the other device but still not the computer after being plugged into the simple green jack, I could only suggest updating your audio driver.

4. Do you have other power bricks in the house with adapters on them that fit the speakers? If so, give the other power things a try, I've seen power bricks go bad plenty of times and they don't really blow up or fry, they just sit there all quiet like nothing happened.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 10 November 2014 - 10:54 PM.

#11 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:44 AM

Thank you everyone for your help, I finally figured out that it was the program I was using for music, not the speakers, that neede adjusting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users