Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First time Builder requiring help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dangerousroboid

dangerousroboid

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:08 AM

as it says in the subject i'm a first time builder and inexperienced. I have a potential PC build drafted up i'd just like input from someone else more experienced then myself that all the parts will work and how i can potentially make the build better, but anyway, onto the build itself

case: Aerocool Strike-X Advanced Devil Red Edition

PSU: Aerocool Strike-X 800W

Motherboard: ASUS A88X-GAMER

GPU: XFX Radeon R9 280 double dissipation 3gb

SSD: Samsung EVO Series 120gb

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001

RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1 8gb (2x4gb) DDR3

Optical Drive: LG CH12NS30 12x BD-R Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive

Montior: ASUS VE248H 24in Widescreen LED

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:01 AM

What CPU are you planning on using?  That is a major part missing from your list.

Do you have a budget for this build?

#3 dangerousroboid

dangerousroboid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:44 AM

sorry, i must've left it out, i'm going with an amd a10 6800k

and i'm looking to stay around under 2000

Edited by dangerousroboid, 10 November 2014 - 08:44 AM.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:10 AM

IMO I wouldn't get a FM2 motherboard for a gaming rig. FM2's are cpu's with onboard video and since you included a really nice R9 GPU, I assume you want the best gaming experience. You need a AM3+ motherboard and a AM3+ cpu. Also, the power supply after doing some reading hasn't gotten a very good rating. So I also suggest getting a Corsair 750W Gold.

CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:10 PM

I'd also recommend doubling the size of your SSD to 256 (or around that depending on the manufacturer).  You can get by on 120GB for a while, but you'll find programs that behave poorly and put their data on C: as the default.  256GB will give you more room for these poorly behaving programs.  Otherwise you're going to spend a lot of time figuring how to get things to store on your HDD.  This is from experience, I started with an 80GB drive, then went to 120GB, and am now on a 256GB.  Things that ate up my room are music and movie players that store their cover art on the C: drive.  I have a massive amount of both music and movies and this ate up a ton of space on my C: drive.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

I would agree on that too. Installing something like Shadows of Mordor = 60GB!

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:33 AM

You can keep the 120GB SSD, but only use it for Windows and other frequently used applications.  The 3TB drive can act as a standard data drive and other very large programs, like games, can be installed there.  Once programs are loaded into memory, you won't see much benefit from the SSD, however, if the game is streaming data from the hard drive, an SSD would help.  Using the SSD for data storage, such as music, movies, and documents, is a bit overkill and you won't notice much benefit keeping them there.

As an alternative to AMD, you can try Intel.  I would look at Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell Quad-Core 3.6GHz LGA 1150 paired with a GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI motherboard.  Don't forget, you'll need a copy of Windows.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users