Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EXTREMELY SLOW ADSL2+ 2MBPS DOWN BRAND NEWW ROUTER HELP !!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ryan842

ryan842

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:24 AM

hey

I have extremely slow speeds on my fast adsl 2 + telstra broadband plan.

I have taken the ookla speed test and only receive 2mbps down 0.7mbps up.

Im using a combo modem/router unit. the N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router.
These tests were taken with my computer hooked up via ethernet with no one else connected to the internet and nothing running in the back ground.

My computer is very powerful so it wouldnt be the cause of the problem.

Im located 2.5km from the nearest exchange, with an estimated cable length of 3.5kms.

Recently called telstra and they ran some tests on my line and told me that the line was good and it was my modem which was causing the issue. i replaced my original thompson router/modem with the N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router, still the same speed.

going to call them up again tomorrow and see what is going on.

here are some statistics from my router

DSL
Line Status:Connected
DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_2plus
Annex Type:Annex A/L
                                       Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps)       948     3652
Max Rate (Kbps)             984     3680
SNR Margin (dB)              5.9       6.2
Line Attenuation (dB)        28.8          52.6
Errors (Pkts)                        0               0

I already made a post a few weeks back and did get some helpful advice, however i still suffer from the same problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maggot7

maggot7

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:40 PM

I would recommend running the "netstat" command in command prompt to see all of the active connections. If anything looks weird, you might have a malware infection eating up bandwidth.

#3 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:28 AM

Also make sure your routers MTU speed is set to 1492. Sometimes on ADSL (or normal DSL) does not work well on the default of 1500.

Gavin Seabrook

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:49 AM

As far as speed test goes it varies and depends on hops, distance, network load & peak times etc. Not sure what your speed package is or anything, but your router information without errors inculding attenuation etc does seem spot on at 3.5km out and getting almost 1Mb/up and 3.6Mb/down. Is this a dry line (aka naked line) without voice? Some things I would check is do some pings and check latency and also call and ask if they got you on fast path. Running some test from cmd IE: ping -t yahoo.com and ctrl+c to stop it. Look for large ping times or packet loss. Run a cmd IE: tracert yahoo.com again look for abnormal ping times and packet loss.

If the speed gets choppy during rain etc is also a indicator of ground faults on the line water shorting out stuff and bad ground bonding. Sometimes vandals go out and try to steal wires etc out of them distribution boxes on the pole and out in the yards and take the covers off that causes all kinds of havoc on the line. Bad filters etc could cause problems usually when the phone rings and knocks the dsl out. I also would connect wired to the router and then check speeds. Also, try reseting or power cycling the modem /router.

Edited by technonymous, 08 December 2014 - 07:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users