Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download Eraser

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:04 AM

I would like to download Eraser on my computer. What is a safe site to do this?  Is Download.Cnet.com a good source?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:42 AM

Always download from the developers site if possible, otherwise you open yourself up to all sorts of spamvertising and add-ons.

http://eraser.heidi.ie/download.php

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:16 AM

Is Download.Cnet.com a good source?

For heaven's sake DO NOT download from Cnet!!  Cnet uses a wrapped installer with all kinds of unwanted extras.  If you google "cnet wrapped installer" you'll see a whole bunch of articles warning you about downloading from Cnet.  Here's a thread on Cnet's own forums with lots of complaints from people who downloaded from them and got more than they bargained for.

Personally, Softpedia is my goto download source.  What I particularly like about them is they warn you if a certain installer contains any crapware as shown below...

lzd6ox4.jpg

Furthermore, if there's a portable version of the software I go for that instead.  Since portable software has no installer they can't foist crap on you.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:06 PM

I used to like Softpedia but hate what they did to the site.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:59 PM

I wouldn't go near Cnet! I too dislike softpedia now. I prefer filehippo, if I can't find it on the developer site.

http://filehippo.com/download_eraser/ <--- as an option for the member.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:20 PM

I don't use FileHippo often but I understand they too are following in Cnet's footsteps.  If you look closely at the download button you'll see where it says "Download Manager Enabled".

qm8HT7t.jpg

And yes, you may argue that they provide a direct download link as well but so does Cnet.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

SourceForge is always a good location to download from.

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:57 PM

I suppose you say while knowing that Sourceforge also use a wrapped installer as well as the reason why GIMP has moved its Windows downloads from Sourceforge.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:10 PM

I've been downloading stuff from there for years and never seen that... They must have dumped it pretty quick as a bad idea. Here's Eraser from Source Forge

http://sourceforge.net/projects/eraser/

Oh, and here is Gimp for Windows from SourceForge.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-win/

Neither have downloaders, as you can see.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,840 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:16 PM

At filehippo Download Manager enabled is for use if you use their separate file checker app which I don't use. As long as I have downloaded individual apps I have never gotten wrappers with any of their apps.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:33 PM

All that said, if you can download anything directly from a developers site it is the safest and surest way. There can be no 3rd party interest.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,840 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:29 PM

I concur and thats the first choice I would use. But It's not always possible and now we have given multiple options to those who may be reading this as well as the OP.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users