Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed 8GB RAM, system reads 4GB. Installed 16GB RAM, system reads 8GB

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Putrid

Putrid

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:28 PM

Asus P7P55 WS.  Tried all sorts of RAM (none on the QVL) and seem the have the same issue: Usable RAM is halved.  Most of the time when I boot into the OS (Win7) it shows that 8 is installed but 4 is usable.

At the moment, I have 4 Crucial 4GB sticks installed in all four DIMM slots.  I ran a WMIC memorychip and got the following: 

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\putrid186>wmic MEMORYCHIP get BankLabel,DeviceLocator,Capacity,Tag
BankLabel  Capacity    DeviceLocator  Tag
BANK2      4294967296  DIMM2          Physical Memory 2
BANK3      4294967296  DIMM3          Physical Memory 3

wut?  Are my slots failing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:11 AM

Could be bad sticks, bad board

Are you overclocking, I have a magical computer that if you overclock it using the oc genie it will only read half of the 16gb of ram. But then there are times where it sees all the ram.

I wish i could give people those super awesome ram testers that cost around $500+ a piece. Its practically instant and I loved using them at a vocational school.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 10 November 2014 - 12:15 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:19 AM

I wish i could give people those super awesome ram testers that cost around $500+ a piece

I wish you could too, 

Test the sticks 1 at a time.

Remove all 4 sticks, Then only insert 1 into the correct slot boot PC, If it all boots ok, Shut down take out that stick, Place it in a safe spot away from the Untested ram, And repeat, You will soon find if any sticks are no good or if its something else.

#4 repitall

repitall

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:54 AM

This is not a 32 bit vs. 64 bit win & issue is it?

#5 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:10 AM

I wouldn't think so, I run 64bit windows and still have that issue when I tried other sticks of ram. If you've tried Nicks suggestion and everything seems to work fine, maybe try 3 sticks at a time and see if it atleast sees 12gb of ram. I've seen weird things happen where it just doesn't want to see all the memory because you have all the slots filled, which doesn't make sense to me, but, has to have some reason behind it.

I honestly would love to jump right to an easy to understand conclusion for this, but I've had this issue so many times in the past, and just recently, I solved my issue by using (2) 8GB sticks over (4) 4GB

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 10 November 2014 - 08:23 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:47 PM

To add to what Nick recommended: If all sticks test ok in slot 0, try one stick in each slot alone. If any of the slots cause a no post with a known good stick of ram, you have a hardware problem.

Your cpu likely has a dual channel ram controller, the newer cpu's have the ram controller built in.

If exactly half the ram is working you may have a channel that is not functioning this would cause half the slots to function. It could be the board or the cpu at that point. I rarely see cpu's fail so my bet would be the board, unless your cpu was running hot or overheating prior to this situation.

Edited by zingo156, 10 November 2014 - 12:47 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users