Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop shuts off when not connected to new HDMI monitor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Stealth_Fingers

Stealth_Fingers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:54 PM

I have owned my Dell Inspiron 15-3521 for a little over a year.  Last week I bought a Samsung S22C300 HDMI monitor and connected it to my laptop for dual monitor use.  Now, when I disconnect the laptop from the monitor to use elsewhere, my laptop randomly shuts down, (meaning it immediately loses power - not that it goes through the normal shut down process).  It does not restart.  It will not turn on until I either plug it into an outlet or connect the monitor to it (via HDMI, no power adapter necessary).  Battery diagnostics say the battery is performing normally.  I removed the battery and held the power button for 60 seconds with no results.  Overheating is not the issue, as it does not shut down during the conditions listed above.  I have never encountered this issue before; I have used the HDMI port to connect my TV with no problems.  

Tonight laptop was completely charged when I disconnected it. It shut off within five minutes.  I hit the power button and only the indicator lights lit up, (all blue indicating no problems). Screen did not come on, however, and the indicator lights went off in two or three seconds.  I immediately plugged the monitor in and hit the power button.  Laptop operated fine.  I have been using it for two hours, now, with no power adapter.  Battery indicates 3 hours of power left. (No problems so far...until I disconnect the monitor).

Running Windows 8.1 64 bit

RAM 4GB

Intel Core i3-3227U CPU @ 1.90GHz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:05 PM

Welcome Stealth_Fingers,

Your laptop is telling you that it does not like you pulling the plug on the second monitor while it's working.

I suggest that you shut down, remove the cable then reboot. That way the system can inventory the connected devices and operate normally

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users