Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a cricket living in my laptop?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GMB666

GMB666

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

Hi all, 

First time here, just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas what this might be.

I have an Acer S7-191-6447 Ultrabook  i5-3337U, Windows 8.1, Mobile Intel HM77 Express Chipset, 4096MB DDR3 Memory, 128GB SSD Drive, 6mths old.

​About a week ago I noticed it has started making a tiny audible 'chirp' every 5 seconds. This noise is coming from the rear RH side. It is a initial louder 'chirp' followed by 3 more softer chirps fading away, this happens every 5 seconds.

I haven't noticed any other problems, computer seems to be doing everything else it's meant to do.

I'd be interested to see if anyone knows what might be the problem, or if it is a problem at all....

but having to continuously play music through the lappy doesn't seem like a solution :bananas:

Cheers,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:01 PM

LOL at the cricket.

Ok now for a question: does your computer make a similar chirp when you unplug and plug in the power adapter? If so, sometimes the cables wear out or the dc jack in the laptops wear out and can disconnect and connect continuously which might cause a chirp. You might notice the brightness on the screen change and possibly the laptop will go from plugged in and charging to using the battery.

Have you installed anything recently that might be sending you push notifications? This might be another cause.

Sometimes buggy microphones or mic's with cranked up gain levels will cause issues. You could try going into recording devices from control panel > hardware and sound > sound > (recording tab) and disable the devices there. You can also right click on the speaker icon in your bottom right corner near your clock and then click recording devices.

If none of that works, try getting the newest audio driver directly from acer's website (make sure you select the correct operating system): http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

You can find your model by using the "select my product from a list" group: Ultra-thin, Series: Aspire, Product: Aspire s7-191

Edited by zingo156, 10 November 2014 - 01:01 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:23 PM

Try muting the volume and see if it still does it.

Could maybe be the fan, depending how this chirp sounds.

#4 GMB666

GMB666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:22 AM

Zingo,

The chirp is very different to the ‘unplug/plug in’ beep, but I checked that to confirm, no, doesn’t appear to be effected by being on battery or mains power.

Disabling the Mic or speakers does not eliminate the chirp.

It’s regular at 5 secs

I’ll try downloading the latest driver now and get back to you.

Can you tell me if it's possible to upload / attach a 280kb M4A file recording of the dreaded chirp here? then you guys can have a listen.

Thanks for your suggestions, big help.

Cheers GMB

#5 GMB666

GMB666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:23 AM

Bludshot,

It doesn’t seem to be coming from the speaker as muting and disabling doesn’t make any difference.

Can you tell me if it's possible to upload / attach a 280kb M4A file recording of the dreaded chirp here? then you guys can have a listen.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Cheers, GMB

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:21 AM

You can upload a file to dropbox, if you do not have a dropbox account you can create one for free. I almost wonder if this is the hard drive, fan, or disc in the drive causing the issue. Generally moving parts are to blame if speakers are not.

Edited by zingo156, 11 November 2014 - 10:21 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:30 AM

there probably is a cricket in the computer

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#8 agent47v2.0

agent47v2.0

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:11 AM

You can upload a file to dropbox, if you do not have a dropbox account you can create one for free. I almost wonder if this is the hard drive, fan, or disc in the drive causing the issue. Generally moving parts are to blame if speakers are not.

i have heard chiping sounds many times from faulty hdds but in his specification he didnot mention a hdd. oly an ssd.

#9 GMB666

GMB666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:51 PM

....the cricket has died! :bounce: he gasped his final gasp and is leg-up-and-laughing...

As you suggested, I disabled/enabled mic and then speakers, nope, same chirp.

Then I downloaded the latest audio driver as zingo suggested, and after a reboot, all is quiet in the jungle.

I'll give it a week or so to see if he really has gone, and if not get back to you then, thanks to all for your help, appreciate it.

Cheers,

GMB

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:07 AM

Glad to help, happy computing.

#11 iforce2d

iforce2d

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:40 AM

I found myself hunting the same problem today, and for my laptop it appears to be caused by the laptop battery being fully charged, and topping itself up every few seconds from the mains adapter.

I would guess it's the charging circuits inside the battery turning on and off, because it does not happen when the battery is actually charging for real (eg. when battery level is less than 100% and continously drawing power from adapter), and it does not happen when running from battery.

Yeah, I know these are not the same symptoms as GMB666 had, but I thought I would post here anyway since this page ranks quite high in google search results when the terms 'chirp' and '5 seconds' are used :)

I should probably also mention that my chirp was not audible normally from the outside of the laptop, it only showed up when playing back audio that had been recorded with the laptop.

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:59 AM

That makes sense, if the charging circuit and/or audio circuit isn't properly grounded or shielded I suppose might interfere with speakers during battery charging start/stop cycles. Better contact the electrical engineers, that is a bit outside of my qualifications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users