Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to Linux but I have a Windows game that I would like to play.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ravenhawk61

Ravenhawk61

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:51 PM

I am a new convert to Linux and am really enjoying it but, I have a Windows game that I like to play. Is there a program that will let me play my game on my Linux Ubuntu system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 LinuxChic

LinuxChic

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:59 PM

Try going to the Ubuntu Software Center and downloading Wine. After you download wine, then download your game. Save it to the desktop. When you click on it to open it, you need to right click it and select the open with option. then select wine. It should open and run just fine. You can use wine to run some of the other Windows programs like Notepad+ also. Let me know if this works.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:31 PM

I am a new convert to Linux and am really enjoying it but, I have a Windows game that I like to play. Is there a program that will let me play my game on my Linux Ubuntu system.

This depends on the sort of game you want to play.

Install Wine 1.7.30 On Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04 And Derivative Systems
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install wine1.7 winetricks

To remove Wine.

$ sudo apt-get remove wine1.7 winetricks

#4 LinuxChic

LinuxChic

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:22 PM

Did it work?

Edited by LinuxChic, 09 November 2014 - 10:25 PM.

#5 Ravenhawk61

Ravenhawk61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:29 PM

Thank you LinuxChic and Nick. It worked and everything seems to be running fine.

#6 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:06 AM

For other programs you might have issues installing, you can always download PlayonLinux, it uses wine, but can also fetch windows fonts and other needed things that wine alone will not give you by default.

About:

https://www.playonlinux.com/en/

The Downloads:

https://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 10 November 2014 - 12:08 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:47 AM

Just as a matter of interest which has relevance - does any of the above members have nVidia drivers in place?

:wizardball:

#8 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:06 AM

I use nvidia drivers, using 331.38 driver

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,672 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:09 PM

Just as a matter of interest which has relevance - does any of the above members have nVidia drivers in place?

Not in this thread.  You have at least 2 threads open where you ummm try to sort out your problems.

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:39 PM

Not so fast, Nick - exercise a little patience.

wishmakingfairy may have interest in these articles:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/449507/nvidia-libopencl1-331-has-to-be-removed-before-installing-wine

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wine1.6/+bug/1313123

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=169694

and on and on

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wine1.6/+bug/1320217

..has, notably

I believe this is already fixed in Utopic, and would like to SRU the fix (and the other fixes in the wine package) to Trusty.

Changed in wine1.6 (Ubuntu):

Confirmed → Fix Released

...But tunnelling a little deeper reveals that some nVidia users are still being affected with v1.7.

Of course, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

LinuxChic may actually be in the right place at the right time (if using nVidia) because some references indicate the problem may have been fixed with Utopic Unicorn.

If you have problems with Wine and/or PlayOnLinux, first option should be to try changing your driver to the Linux Community-provided Nouveau driver.

In Ubuntu this can be done through Software Sources, right-hand Tab Additional Drivers, under Linux Mint through Driver Manager, etc.

Just throwing it out there (I am an nVidia user) - keep an open mind people, and entertain points of view other than your own.

... and Keep Smilin - I do :wink:

:wizardball:  Wiz

#11 LinuxChic

LinuxChic

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:48 PM

Seeing that my laptop is about 8 years it doesn't even have nVidia. Wine and PlayOnLinux haven't failed me yet.

#12 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:05 PM

Will one of these 'play on linux' packages work with Precise Puppy?

If so, which do I try?

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,672 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:19 PM

You will find Wine is in puppy package manager, Or you can get a sfs from here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=61

I have never used Wine on puppy so I cant help much.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:31 PM

If that is the case and I mean no disrespect here, Then wishmakingfairy can start a new thread asking for help.

This thread was started by Ravenhawk61 asking about playing Windows games on Linux, And people who may have nVidia issues will not look in this thread for a solution.  Yet if they see a thread called ' nVidia Broken" or something like that, See my point.

Members are asked to try and stay to the topic as much as they can, Even if your issue sounds the same, If the fix in the thread didn't work for you Again you should start a new thread using  this as a guide line on how to ask for help.

Be Verbose
When you ask for support you should also include as much information about the problem as possible. Including all of the important details in your first post will greatly speed up the entire support process and allow our volunteers to better assist you. While you may think a particular error message isn't very helpful, it may be the key to resolving your issue. Some details we are looking for would include, but not be limited to:

•     Your distribution's name (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc), version (17, 14.04, 7, etc), and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit).
  •     Provide relevant information about your physical hardware or installed software.
  •     Share relevant log files, screenshots, detailed error messages, or anything else that could be used to troubleshoot your issue.

[Community Standards] Properly Giving & Receiving GNU/Linux Support

Edited by NickAu1, 13 November 2014 - 11:32 PM.

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:47 AM

People, I agree with all Nick has said above, with one proviso that perhaps I should have stated, and that is words to this effect:

If any of the replies to the nVidia query had elicited a response to the affirmative, then I would have followed a proper procedure of advising starting a new Topic on the subject.

With this wonderful Forum of ours, it allows anyone from Newbies to not-so-Newbies to have "ownership" over a subject, to see it through from start to finish (hopefully with a successful outcome, lol), and then to either seek further input from others on the subject, for all to benefit, or else ask a Moderator to close it down - list of Office-bearers is in the Welcome Guide.

I could not follow the recent threads, because following a lightning strike Tuesday night, Internet for my suburb was down until this afternoon.

Other than that proviso, now explained, I stand with what I said and referred to.

Anyone with nVidia issues, feel free to visit here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/546720/nvidia-alternatives-ubuntu-and-other-distros/

and contribute

Keep Smilin' - I do :wink:

:wizardball:  Wizard

BTW - If you "own" your own Topic, you can even have some latitude to diverge a little. I had it from a Global Moderator a few days ago, in part "You started the topics and if you want to "hijack" your own topics that is fine with me." But please don't try to "stamp" your opinion on another person's Topic as if it were the only opinion to be considered. Good Manners roxx. Wiz

Edited - inserted BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 14 November 2014 - 12:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users