Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choosing a mechanical keyboard

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AlconH

AlconH

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:18 PM

Hi all,

I can only offer my sincerest apologies if this is in the wrong section, this is my first visit and I'm still getting to know my way around.

I have a question regarding mechanical keyboards. My friend recently recommended one, and after having a try on his, I'm thinking of buying my own.

I am a student/freelance web developer, so I do a lot of typing. I do however, live with my parents, and so the loudest keyboard on the market is probably not for me.

I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard that is not too loud, and preferable on the lower end of the price range since it's my first and don't fancy spending too much, should it turn out that I'm not a fan..

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

Welcome AlconH,

Different strokes for different folks. I'd recommend a trip to a good store that has a selection of hardware available and try out the keyboards. I wouldn't want to recommend a brand or model for a couple of reasons. First, you might hate it and second it might not be available when you go looking.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:55 PM

This is an area of try before you buy. As Dicke has said go to a store that has a range visibly on offer. Your time zone is the same as mine so you likely live in the UK - Staples, Curry's and john Lewis come to mind.

Having said that, unless you are a competent touch typist I would steer clear of MS branded keyboards - the lettering tends to wear off the keys fairly quickly. I am not quite sure what you mean by 'not too loud'. I have never met a computer keyboard that makes much more than a faint clicking as you tap the keys. Nothing like the 'thud, thud, bang' the Underwood Portable I went through University with 40 years ago made. Oh yes, there was also the 'ting' as you came to the end of the line and then the 'whirr, thump' as you wound the carriage back to the start of the next line. Oh what bliss, to be young in such a time !

In fact it is much easier to find a wife than a keyboard you can have a lasting relationship with. I have been married for 39 years to my first wife, I've had about 12 or 15 keyboards in the last 20 years !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 AlconH

AlconH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:03 PM

This is an area of try before you buy. As Dicke has said go to a store that has a range visibly on offer. Your time zone is the same as mine so you likely live in the UK - Staples, Curry's and john Lewis come to mind.

Yes, I'm from the UK :)

Having said that, unless you are a competent touch typist I would steer clear of MS branded keyboards - the lettering tends to wear off the keys fairly quickly. I am not quite sure what you mean by 'not too loud'. I have never met a computer keyboard that makes much more than a faint clicking as you tap the keys. Nothing like the 'thud, thud, bang' the Underwood Portable I went through University with 40 years ago made. Oh yes, there was also the 'ting' as you came to the end of the line and then the 'whirr, thump' as you wound the carriage back to the start of the next line. Oh what bliss, to be young in such a time !

I'm talking in terms of a mechanical keyboard, they're incredibly loud depending on the type of switches they have below the keys.

Anyway, thanks for your replies guys. I shall take a look at the local shops and see what I can find.

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

Keep us posted :smilers:

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#6 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:14 AM

I'm using my all-time favorite keyboard, a Windows 104 keyboard, on my 3rd PC   Dell Quietkey 0463CD

I use it with a KVM Switch on my Desktop and Laptop PC's. 

I like it since it has 2 <win> keys on either side of the spacebar and a <ContextMenu> (Right-click)  key.

It's nice for the "non-mouse" crowd :).

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:01 AM

Here is a good link on everything you wanted to know about Cherry Switches on Mechanical Keyboards.

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:29 PM

I don't think you will find what you are looking for. Mechanical keyboards are expensive, and they are intentionally loud. Wanting an inexpensive and quiet keyboard is the antithesis of wanting a mechanical keyboard I'm afraid.

Edited by bludshot, 14 November 2014 - 08:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users