Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleeping Computer Software Testing/Vetting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 onemoment

onemoment

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:12 PM

Hello,

This is a comment more than anything. As well as a question, perhaps. Which may turn into a suggestion, which I doubt. But I thought I would say something anyway, despite the heartburn this may cause others and I may receive.

I have looked around the site, performed several searches, but have not been able to find what makes a recommended solution a valid solution. I realize there are many experts here, and surely beyond my knowledge as I am still learning many things about security, malware, etc... Unfortunately, the internet is a creepy haven for criminally minded folks among all of the others who just want to explore and have fun. I fall into the latter category, but have been compromised (not the first time) through my home network to the point that so many files became corrupt, deleted, and infected, that I had to do a number of things despite my weeks of efforts to clean things up. I am kind of stubborn that way. And once I was able to delete everything personal and private, I was able to experiment without concern. However, I finally gave up and changed providers, operating systems, accounts, passwords, and so on.

What an ordeal! Anyway, I am paranoid now to say the least. After some time, I have come to trust some sites outside of very mainstream sites - such as bleepingcomputer.com. But there have been some recommended solutions of fixes - whether configuration changes or software installation solutions which have caused some concern or weariness. In no way, is this is a criticism. Just ignorance.

So... Can anyone here tell me what procedures of testing for malware are done to vet out poor anti-malware, cleaning, rootkit killers, and all other software provided and recommended are performed by Bleeping Computer? I know out of experience that nothing is for sure, but I do believe there is the possibility of piece of mind in some environments/websites, still. Again, this not a criticism, but a question about how things are vetted so that they can be ethically and with sound conscience, recommended here.

I am sorry if this is too long or has been already discussed or made available by the site. Please provide the proper chastising if it pertains. :wink:

Thank you,

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:46 PM

What an ordeal! Anyway, I am paranoid now to say the least. After some time, I have come to trust some sites outside of very mainstream sites - such as bleepingcomputer.com. But there have been some recommended solutions of fixes - whether configuration changes or software installation solutions which have caused some concern or weariness. In no way, is this is a criticism. Just ignorance.

And you should be paranoid and wary of downloading any software off of the Internet, including from this site. In fact if you take some of the tools that we offer and upload them to virustotal, there are some AV engines that may categorize them as malware. These are of course false positives, but brings you back to the concern of who you should trust. The site or the AV software?

I can't and won't speak for any other site, but for BleepingComputer.com the only thing I can say is that our reputation speaks for itself. We have been around since 2004 and though we had one instance where one of our downloads was infected, we have otherwise a sparkling track record. If we were offering malware or other tools that should be of concern, just doing a search should quickly spot that.

Unfortunately, this same approach does not always work with smaller sites or recently created ones. Their tools may be perfectly valid and useful, but you wont be able to determine their reputation based on online searches due to their smaller size or recent creation.

For other sites, the only advice I can give is to only download from a site you 100% trust. Simple as that. If you find a tool at another site that you can't determine the reputation or the efficacy of the tool, always feel free to ask us here and we will look into it for you.

So... Can anyone here tell me what procedures of testing for malware are done to vet out poor anti-malware, cleaning, rootkit killers, and all other software provided and recommended are performed by Bleeping Computer? I know out of experience that nothing is for sure, but I do believe there is the possibility of piece of mind in some environments/websites, still. Again, this not a criticism, but a question about how things are vetted so that they can be ethically and with sound conscience, recommended here.

Now down to the main question. Any tool offered in our download section has been tested by myself or other staff. Any software that is designed by a member is only hosted if we trust the helper, tested the software, and feel that it is a quality program. For certain software, we do not always test each new version that comes out, but have instituted an automated virus scan from numerous providers that alert us if the software detections have changed. When they have we examine them to see if its a false positive or not. In fact, one of the programs we used to offer, Driver Fusion, recently added OpenCandy adware installations in their product and we removed them from the download section.

This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I can assure you that we do our best to screen the programs we offer and too only offer programs that don't perform sneaky install of crapware on your computers.

Hope that helps a bit.

#3 onemoment

onemoment
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:27 AM

Thanks for responding, I appreciate the information and candor. I realize nothing is for sure in life except something about death and taxes....

I will tend to vet tools no matter where I have found them or download them from. For example, I download a utility from sourceforge and found malware onsite. Though, some of the utilities I still use are developed or maintained on that site. Crazy... Anyway, to clarify about any earlier comment I may have made - I have not found anything on this site and enjoy the information. And definitely appreciate all the folks do here to help others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users