Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with HP G62 Win 7 laptop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 repitall

repitall

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:44 PM

Help with HP G62 laptop Win 7
Last night power went out...don't know how much of a surge was present.
Laptop was plugged in and on and when the power went out and my daughter just closed the lid so the laptop either went into sleep or hibernation. Battery is about 25% useful.
After power came back on tried to wake it up and couldn't.

Can get power light and a few other lights on trying to boot, but no video or chance for BIOS from both with charger or just with battery and the hard drive doesn't appear to spin up. The CPU fan spins but no beeps and no video. Get power light, Wifi light and Crtl light that blinks every 3 seconds. Get no HD light at any time

Here's what I've tried:
- Left off and disconnected for an hour.
- Pulled and rotated ram sticks.

- Tried USB enclosure for drive and did sector scan, chkdsk and sfc /scannow...all looks good.
- Used the Windows + B keys with start button to try and reset BIOS.

- Tried the power button with F1 and F2, just shuts down.
- Tried to boot from UBCD and starts to spin up, but can't tell because of no video.

Just can't get to post.
- Is this a processor or motherboard issue?..
I think that's about it. Have not tried to pull cmos battery ( last resort since its a pain on this laptop )

Any ideas would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:59 PM

See if Power Cycling the computer will work.

Remove the main battery and power adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach your power adapter but leave the main battery out. Power on the computer.

#3 repitall

repitall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:07 PM

See if Power Cycling the computer will work.

Remove the main battery and power adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach your power adapter but leave the main battery out. Power on the computer.

Thanks, already tried that, forgot to mention it. Probably some other things I have left out.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:13 PM

Test the computer with an external monitor.

Try removing all non essential hardware (wireless cards, hard drives, dvd drives, see if it will give you a post screen, remove all but 1 stick of ram. Try both sticks in each slot alone.

FYI, HP (from my experience) has a very bad track record with the DV and G (compaq Q) (vista and windows 7) series laptops and video chipsets burning out. If you get no post or video on an external using only essential hardware, my bet would be a failed video chip. I can not speak for the newer HP's as I am no longer in retail and we do not use HP where I work.

Edited by zingo156, 10 November 2014 - 01:17 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 repitall

repitall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:17 PM

Test the computer with an external monitor.

Try removing all non essential hardware (wireless cards, hard drives, dvd drives, see if it will give you a post screen, remove all but 1 stick of ram. Try both sticks in each slot alone.

FYI, HP (from my experience) has a very bad reputation with the DV and G (compaq Q) series laptops and video chipsets burning out. If you get no post or video on an external using only essential hardware, my bet would be a failed video chip.

Thanks for the reply...already tried VGA and HDMI and other things mentioned. Guess I am screwed. May strip it down and take a look. Maybe a reflow is needed.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:52 PM

Re-flows work but typically not long. I used to do them frequently and after all the hassle, I don't recommend it anymore. Sometimes the computers would work for years, most of the time a few months at least, other times they would fail again within a few weeks. I do not recommend replacing motherboards on these HP's either unless you can find a guaranteed new board. Even then with the failure rates, I would likely shop for a new pc.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 repitall

repitall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:35 PM

Re-flows work but typically not long. I used to do them frequently and after all the hassle, I don't recommend it anymore. Sometimes the computers would work for years, most of the time a few months at least, other times they would fail again within a few weeks. I do not recommend replacing motherboards on these HP's either unless you can find a guaranteed new board. Even then with the failure rates, I would likely shop for a new pc.

Ageed, this would just be out of curiosity. Got a feeling its more than just video. Can't get the hard drive to spin when installed either.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:09 PM

Ageed, this would just be out of curiosity. Got a feeling its more than just video. Can't get the hard drive to spin when installed either.

Tough to say, the last failed video chip set I dealt with the hard drive would not spin up either. Sometimes they will, sometimes not. Anytime there is a post fault with any piece of hardware, just about anything else could be affected. I suppose it might depend on what is initialized by the bios first.

Edited by zingo156, 10 November 2014 - 03:10 PM.

#9 repitall

repitall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:13 PM

Well, I finally found the time to disassemble the laptop to take out the motherboard. Did a reflow of the ATI chipset and to my amazement the darn thing is working..at least for now. We'll see how long it lasts.
Only issue I had was the cmos battery encloser was dried out and part of it came off. So now the battery is wedged in with a piece of a toothpick and some electrical tap. HaHa some craftsmanship.

Edited by repitall, 18 November 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

AWESOME! I hope it lasts a long time. I have my doubts but at least it is working. Also lol, toothpicks and tape fix everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users