Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dll error when opening chrome, and programs removed from computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NotAsSmartAsYou

NotAsSmartAsYou

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:44 PM

Hi there I am new to the forum. I read through a couple of the posts on this site and am amazed by the level knowledge and willingness to help I have seen here. that being said, i feel like im at the right spot! any information given will be greatly appreciated!!

So my computer randomly deleted 2 programs and some video editing projects that i have been recently working on. GoPro cineform, and adobe premiere. I re downloaded cineform, but premiere is gone and i cant get it back. i went into control panel to find it in my programs and it is nowhere to be seen. but there is a link left on my computer to setup that program, so i clicked on it, and half way through installation it just closes down and that is that. No error message, nothing, it just stops. so i tried downloading the program and starting from scratch and the same thing happens. secondly, when i try to open google chrome i get this error:  Chrome.exe- Bad image //./globalroot/systemroot/apppatch/spbin/spvc32loader.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error.

So that is where im at. I have antivirus software and nothing is being detected and i did a malware sweep and nothing was detected. This all coincidentally happened all at once the very first time i booted up my computer after installing new RAM but i have been told that that could not have affected programs or data loss. To my untrained eye i cant believe that is pure coinicident but hey, you guys are the brains here so ill have to trust you. at any rate, i just want to be back to normal and back to editing videos and not getting error messages. Thanks in advance for any help! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:37 PM

Welcome,

Have you considered removing the RAM just to confirm the statement that it "can't be the RAM"?

What's the AV program and is it current? Also, which malware program?

Random deletions aren't usually random. Did you do your downloads from the developer sites or third party sites?

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 NotAsSmartAsYou

NotAsSmartAsYou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:45 PM

I removed the ram right away because I thought that was the problem. I have bitdefender plus and it updates daily. The malware sweep was downloaded directly from Microsoft because I wasn't sure what to trust.and the downloads for the video editing programs were directly from the sites, no third party.. I do try to be conscious of threats and security but who knows I'm sure I've messed up somewhere.. it's just so hard to figure out where :/

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:41 PM

OK, the RAM is good, the programs come from reliable sources.

Try Start -> Run -> type in sfc /scannow to check for corruption of the files on the HDD [there IS a space between the "c" and the "/"

It should run as administrator

To test the HDD try

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Keep us posted

Dick

Dick E

#5 NotAsSmartAsYou

NotAsSmartAsYou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:00 PM

ok so i tried the sfc /scannow and hit ok and i saw the dos screen pop up for about a millisecond and then that was it. nothing else happened. and secondly, i did that hdd test a couple hours ago and everything passed.. and just a little update on the status of the computer; the more im on here fooling around, the more programs im finding are not functioning correctly. just odd things here and there that are not making sense. not worth explaining every little thing but its just becoming glaringly clear that something is seriously wrong. i just wish i had the knowledge to figure it out! short of a virus, i dont understand what would cause such havoc!

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:15 AM

Have you tried

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/search/?keyword=superantispyware

or

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

both do a good job and are a bit different from each other so they may get different results

Keep us posted

Dick

Dick E

#7 NotAsSmartAsYou

NotAsSmartAsYou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:22 PM

hey nice call! now i dont get that error message anymore when opening chrome! looks like a step forward.. now i just need to figure out how to get adobe premiere back on my computer.. still wont install

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:36 PM

You might try

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/

do a shut down, take a break, reboot and try a clean install

Keep us posted

Dick

Dick E

#9 NotAsSmartAsYou

NotAsSmartAsYou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:49 PM

so i downloaded that program. Problem is i cant find any trace of the actual program to uninstall it. neither in the program you referred me to nor the regular windows one.. so its frustrating because i dont know how to wife it clean to start fresh.. there is a link still left on my computer to begin setup, but there is nothing in the list of programs to uninstall that even resembles anything correlated to adobe premiere 

#10 NotAsSmartAsYou

NotAsSmartAsYou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:36 PM

went through their support team and got it figured out! thanks so much for all your help i couldnt have fixed it without you!!

#11 NotAsSmartAsYou

NotAsSmartAsYou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:38 PM

that wasnt sarcasm by the way haha i just read that over and it sounded like i said thanks for nothin basically.. but honest i appreciate your help. computer is running better!

#12 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:29 PM

You're most welcome

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick