Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

first f many issues with windows 8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tcortis

tcortis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 04:01 PM

I have had a few problems lately with my acer laptop and thought I would back up a copy of my factory settings just in case. I bought a 16 gig flash drive and looked online how to create the back up. When I try to save the factory settings it asks if I want to save the partition  also I keep that box checked and after formatting the flash drive and starts to copy the files it just says there is a problem and won't do anything is this because my flash drive may not be big enough and should I uncheck the box and try it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:56 PM

According to microsoft the size of windowssize requirements are:

"Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)"

So, Im going to assume you'd need atleast a 32gb flash drive, but thats only my assumption because of you wanting to save the entire partition.

But then I also see: " The recovery image is stored on a dedicated recovery partition on your PC, and is typically 3-6 GB in size "

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 09 November 2014 - 05:59 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:27 PM

The last time I did this, on a fairly new laptop, I had to go through the C:\ drive and uninstall some of the crapware installed on it just to get the recovery image down to fit on the 32 Gb drive my friend had. It depends on whether you are making an image of the C:\ drive or of the recovery drive, commonly D:\ on many new laptops.

I believe the image stored on the recovery partition is highly compressed more so than an image of the C:\ drive. Mind you, I might have had an easier time if I had realised he wanted me to make this image before I installed MS Office for him. It's the old story about the difference between what the client says he wants you to do and what he really wants you to do. It really is worth spending five minutes sorting out his wants / desires / wishes before you start !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users