Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Running Anti-virus Software, Can Not Get Into Yahoo

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Just_A_Guy

Just_A_Guy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:11 AM

Not sure if this is the correct board to post this question/problem on.

On Sunday nite I ran anti-virus/ad-ware software. It came up with 3 items "infected". After removing them I am no longer able to get into any "yahoo" related websites (www.yahoo.com, www.myyahoo.com, www.yahoo.ca etc, etc) It shows it connecting to the site but after a few minutes it comes up with "cannot find server". I don't know what I did or how to fix this problem. It only effects the Yahoo sites, which is frustrating as I can not check my emails and other things I have set up there. I know there's nothing wrong with the Yahoo site itself as have used a friends computer and had no problem connecting with their computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:46 AM

If the applications placed the "infected" files in quarantine for safekeeping while out of harm's way, you can try taking them out of quarantine. It may be that these files were simply cookies, the lack of which prevent your getting into Yahoo mail, etc..
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Just_A_Guy

Just_A_Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for replying to my question.

None of the infected files got put into quarentine. I just deleted them all. (I was using avest! antivius software).

I did notice when did a "search" on the computer it came up with a file called "Yserver" as a "text" doc and was wondering if this file has anything to do with my inability to access any Yahoo (related) sites?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:07 PM

If you are talking about Yahoo web mail, you may have deleted a file for your short cut to yahoo in your favorites file. Try googling Yahoo and then login with your name and password. I am not familiar with the program you used to delete the file(s) but it may have a black list for websites. If you can't connect as described above then I would suggest temporarily turning off Avast and try again.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users