Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 oxojohn

oxojohn

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:35 AM

I am trying to do a system restore, but it tells me that "the drive cannot be found" but it is accessible when clicking computer and it also opens OK.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:10 PM

A bit more detail on how you are trying to do the restore would be helpful. How was the data backed up? Just the basic details.

Thanks

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 oguzhanK

oguzhanK

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:09 AM

good afternoon oxojohn,

how you want to restore your computer?

Do you want restore your computer with your documents or withouth your documents.

I would make a copy of the documents on your computer and a new software install and then restore the back up.

Could you please give me more information about what you want with the sytsem restore please?

Oguzhan

#4 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:47 AM

Hi Dicke&oguzhan

Thanks for your reply's
I uninstalled a driver called "Marvell Miniport Driver" by using Revo Uninstaller, because even when I was connected to the internet, I was getting a pop-up window every few seconds, saying that the miniport is trying to connect to Tiscali.co.uk, which is my internet service provider.

I opened Revo Uninstaller to see what programs it was showing, and found "Marvell Miniport Driver" so I took a risk and uninstalled it, however, the pop-up window did not now show,  but my computer now seems to take longer to log onto web pages, so I decided to go to system restore and do a restore to the previous day, but on doing so, it says that system restore was unable to perform the operation and that nothing has been altered!
On delving a little further I found this. (below)  which says "the C drive cannot be found"..... which is the hard drive on my computer, but the C drive is visible to me, if I click Computer and then click C drive all the files and folders are plain to see.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium,

Image1_zps9436d459.jpg

Restoreagain_zpsf7347484.png

Edited by oxojohn, 10 November 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#5 oguzhanK

oguzhanK

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:22 AM

Oxojohn,

have you tried to reinstalling the driver?

if it is a part of windows then you have to restore your computer

Oguzhan

#6 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

Oxojohn,

have you tried to reinstalling the driver?

if it is a part of windows then you have to restore your computer

Oguzhan

Hi Oguzhan.

I have retrieved it by clicking "Restore" in the recycle bin, but when using the web its still very slow, but I still have the problem with Windows Restore still not recognising my windows C drive.

so I am concerned that when I need to use System restore again, I will not be able to because it wont recognise my computer drive for some reason.              

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:02 PM

Hello,
Click on the C: Missing drive in your second image and click the Configure Button. Turn off system restore. Click on Local Disk C:(System) which should be in the list. Click the Configure button and change the settings you would like for the drive. The drive you want to restore in your first image is Local Disk C: (System). C: Missing should now be gone.

Edit: When configuring Local Disk C: (System) do not turn off system restore or make it smaller. You would lose Restore Points.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 November 2014 - 03:10 PM.

#8 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:54 AM

My apologies John_21 for not getting back to you sooner. 

Brilliant....you have sorted the problem out for me, I followed your instruction and hey presto, its now back to normal, and I am now able to do a system restore again.

Many thanks for your help. 

Regards

John.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:05 PM

Glad you got it sorted out. Thank you for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users