Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop randomly shutting off

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 YeOldeOne

YeOldeOne

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:09 AM

About a week ago my laptop started shutting off randomly and when I tried to turn it on again, the power and number lock lights worked, nothing else. After waiting 1-2 hours the computer started normally but would shut off again in a few seconds or hours(completely random). But yesterday I couldn't get the computer to work, just the two lights work. I've tried connecting an external monitor but it's blank. I think the graphic card is dead but I'm not sure and I don't know how to check.

Any reply is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:28 PM

Can you hear the fan running, or feel air being blown out of the side vent/s.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 YeOldeOne

YeOldeOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:29 AM

I can't hear the fan running and I can't boot into safe mode. It doesn't boot at all

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:37 AM

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:18 AM

It sounds like the motherboard took a dive. I help a company whos dells computer are exposed to outdoor conditions all the time. Their most recent issue was similar, you could plug in the power, and the power light would come on; you could press the power button and the light would come on, but the others for things like hard drive activity would not, and it wouldn't boot, even after power cycling it. Replaced the motherboard and all was well.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 10 November 2014 - 10:19 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:35 AM

@wishmakingfairy

It's a little early to jump to the conclusion that this is a bad motherboard.  I'm not saying it couldn't be, but we need more information before we go that direction.

The first thing to do is to determine if the power adapter is producing the proper voltage.

#7 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:45 AM

I'll gladly learn about that, I know I don't know how to use a multimeter. When i was at the votech school, i got to visit their automotive department and decided I'd give testing a car battery a try, I tried setting it up and watched the multimeter blow out with a puff of smoke :P

And.... it would help me with future issues as well, If you don't mind sharing or have an easy to understand reference guide, please share.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 10 November 2014 - 10:46 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#8 YeOldeOne

YeOldeOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:40 AM

I can charge the computer's battery just fine. And I don't have a multimeter

Edited by YeOldeOne, 11 November 2014 - 12:42 AM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:05 AM

If this computer is unresponsive as you have posted, how can you tell the battery is being charged?

#10 YeOldeOne

YeOldeOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:21 AM

I plug in the charger and connect the battery, then unplug the charger and the two lights light up.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

What light are lit?

#12 YeOldeOne

YeOldeOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:24 PM

The number lock light and power light(the one with the lightbulb) light up. Also the computer worked normally for about 3-10 minutes before shutting off(I have no idea why). It went back to shutting off within 3 seconds after turning it on. But I managed to get the specs, if they help. http://speccy.piriform.com/results/dQRQG4xCn1CiUUaRmIW0VWv

Edited by YeOldeOne, 11 November 2014 - 02:28 PM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:42 PM

The Speccy indicates that there is not battery, is this correct?

Please download and run SeatTool for Windows.

When the website opens scroll down till you find the I Accept button and click on it.

If you scroll down below this button you will find instruction for installing this.

Once you install this program you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for hdds on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB port.

2.  Detected Drives will list the hdd/s found.  Place a check mark in the drive you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for different scans, please click on Short Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.  

If the hdd passes the test you should run chkdsk /r.

Open Search and type in cmd.

When this is displayed in the result box right click on it.  At the bottom of this window click on Run as administrator.

When the Elevated Comman Prompt opens type in chkdsk /r and press Enter.

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

When the scan is finished please download and run ListChkdskResult.

This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan.  Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.

#14 YeOldeOne

YeOldeOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:20 AM

The hdd passed the test but I can't do the chkdsk/r thing because my computer keeps shutting down and the scan got stuck at 10%

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:37 AM

You have a current pending sector count of 8.  This has me concerned about the hdd.  

How long did the chkdsk run at 10%, and did you turn the computer off to end the chkdsk?

Please run the SeaTools for Windows again, but run the Long Generic test.

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Can you boot into the BIOS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users