Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Repair Tools

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:03 AM

I am very sceptical about purchasing registry repair tools as I've seen reports on the Internet where some of the companies involved take your Pay Pal data for a free trial and then bill you on a yearly basis and it's difficult to cancel, for example, as one of these companies is in China.

The other thing that concerns me is that anything that gets into your registry can wreck havoc if it's not legitimate and universally well received.

On the other hand, I would suspect that over time, the registry gets corrupted to some degree and needs repair.

Are there legitimate registry repair tools out there from reputable companies or is the whole subject scam bait?  I have seen a free repair tool posted on CNET called Free Windows Registry Repair and would think recommendations from CNET would be above board but don't know enough about this to make a decision plus any bad decision here could have very bad results.

What would you advise?

Thanks,

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:07 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/524004/is-speedypc-pro-safe/?p=3286593

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users