Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I don't know where to start!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 natashasunflower

natashasunflower

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:56 AM

Hello!
I am hoping I am posting in the correct forum. I have a computer. I don't know much about them I will be honest. It says Lenovo. Not sure that matters!
I use my computer for photography. I use PS6 which allows me to edit all of my photos for my shoots. I have very stupidly not backed up anything to this point.
A couple of days ago I started getting warnings that my webroot has caught several active threats. The computer has been running slow and I have been getting many strange pop ups about powershell not running or that my computer is blocking programs that are trying to change my hard drive.
In the meantime I have started backing up outstanding photo shoots on stream nation but it is truly doing it at a snails pace. I'm not sure if it's because the computer is infected or if it's the large CR2 files it has to download.
It appears internet explorer is not connecting.
I am a little freaked out right now. I ran out to purchase an external hard drive but I had someone in my ear telling me not to because it could crash the computer! I just want to save my photos I could care less about anything else. Any advice from anyone!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:37 AM

***Please note, all is just a suggestion, I'd recommend trying to boot the computer into safe mode and begin running scans on the machine***

If you have windows 7 or below, when the computer boots, press F8 a bunch when you see the lenovo logo. Use the arrow keys to select "Safemode with Networking" and press enter

If you have windows 8, let it load to the login screen, instead of logging in, hold in left shift, click on the power icon in the bottom and click restart while holding in shift. It will bring up a blue menu, click on "Troubleshoot" , then "Advanced Options" then finally "Windows Startup Settings" , I generally press 5 for safemode with networking. The computer will soon reboot into safemode.

With the safemode with networking, you can click on these links and download the programs you need

Run:

1. TDSS Killer

2. Rkill

2. JRT

4. Adwcleaner (I run this so far into the process because it always makes your computer restart once it removes something)

5. Malwarebytes

6. Full Virus Scan ( I generally use AVG Free, please do not download more than 1 antivirus without removing the other first)

Some programs in safemode can take up the wholescreen or, be too great in height, so their buttons aren't visible. To help solve this isse, click on the window you want to change, hold alt and press the space bar, then click maximize to make the program fill out and make the buttons visible for use. If you can't do that, then you just have to do your best to move the window to a position where you can click the button you need.

Edited to remove a not allowed program  and link

Roger

However, If you feel that the computer is too slow to even use and run your normal scans, I'd use another computer and download a rescue disk. It runs off the disk and requires your computer to be connected to the internet. I've been having pretty good luck with Anvi Rescue Disk .

1. Download the file on another computer, or your own if its fast enough

2. Extract the Rescue.iso to your desktop (click, drag and drop to your desktop)

3. Download infrarecorder ( a free disc burning program)

4. Put a blank cd/dvd in the disc drive

5. Run infrarecorder

6. Click "Write Image" at the bottom left

7. Browse to the desktop and select the iso file

8. Don't change anything and click ok

9. Put the cd in the infected pc

10. When the computer boots, if it doesn't start running the cd and boots right into windows, you'll need to access the boot menu. This is either F12, F11, Escape, Delete

11. Once you select the disk, it will start up the program asking for languages, just press enter to accept

12. Anvi will load to a pretty simple interface

13. Look in the bottom right to make sure it says that you're connected

14. Click on quick or full scan, a quick scan can take 30-120 minutes, a full scan 60-a couple hours

15. Once the scan is completed, select "Fix" and it will delete or quarantine the viruses

16. You can use the repair function of the program, generally this will reenable the firewall if its turned off and reset the computers settings back to default without sacrificing your data.

However, before you even do so, I'd probably get atleast a reasonably priced usb 3.0 flash drive, with roughly 8-32gb of space unless you have a really big chunk of data, then I'd consider buying an external drive. Please choose whatever you'd feel more comfortable with and save your pictures, documents, music, favorites, and desktop folder.  On rare occasions the rescue disks can prevent windows from running and I'd rather see someone with their data, despite having an infection in the folder (which can be removed with a virus scanner) than someone with no files and no useable computer.

Edited by rotor123, 09 November 2014 - 11:16 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users