Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Poweliks virus help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Snehadavison

Snehadavison

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:21 PM

Hello. I think I have the Poweliks virus or something similar (many of the dll *32 files being started, computer runs very slow, etc.) on my Windows 7 PC. I can't seem to download any additional type of anti-malware software to help diagnose/cleanse. Whenever I try, I get an error that says that it's not allowed under my current security settings even if I turn everything off. I already have Norton 360 which has informed me that it has blocked some attacks, but the problems remain regardless. I would really appreciate it if somebody could help!

Oh, and I get frequent notices of various programs that are not even opened (and one that is not even installed) exhibiting high disk usage and also that Powershell has quit working.

Edited by Snehadavison, 08 November 2014 - 10:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:50 PM

As you have already posted this in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware forum, please wait for them to finish -

One problem - One forum, or we will offer conflicting advice .....

I will ask for this to be closed -

#3 joe_schlabotnik

joe_schlabotnik

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:54 PM

I apologize to the admins for replying to this topic but this happened to me last week.. In task manager you're gonna see a bunch of dllhost.exe instances (they are called COM surrogates)  Kill them all (right click and end process)  Download roguekiller and it will delete poweliks. Or, you can also get ESET's poweliks cleaner and it can fix it for you also.. Surely you have a second computer that you can use to verify this..

Good luck

Edited by joe_schlabotnik, 08 November 2014 - 10:56 PM.

Ya know, this stuff is fascinating, yet irritating

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:06 PM

After requesting and receiving assistance at another security forum, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by their Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log(s) you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Good luck.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:00 AM

Member states they do not have a topic open elsewhere.

I posted the "poweliks virus help" topic and told it was being locked because I posted the question in another forum, but I did not post anywhere else, so I am confused! I need help with my computer and have only posted about it here. I respectfully ask that the topic be reopened.

I am reopening this topic for member to receive assistance

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:47 AM

Please follow the instructions in This Prep Guide starting at Step 6.

Once the requested logs are created, then make a New Topic and post it to the =>> Malware Removal Experts Area <== Not back here.

Copy and Paste any logs created, (do not attach them unless requested) and include a brief description of your problem and what you have done to try to resolve them.
Please note that the area can get a bit busy, so you may need to wait a day or more for a reply.

NOTE - If you cannot produce any of the logs, then please create the new topic anyway. Do not run more tools unless the experts request them.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:40 AM

Snehadavison...I apologize for closing your thread based on incorrectly believing you has posted for assistance elsewhere.

After posting your log(s), please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one and avoid further confusion.

#8 Snehadavison

Snehadavison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:55 AM

Thank you. Here's the new post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/555364/poweliks-virus-help/?p=3531668

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:58 AM

You're welcome.

Now that your new topic is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the information or any log(s) you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, please follow Step One and CLICK the link so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users