Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive from old computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JohnWJ

JohnWJ

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:38 PM

Good Evening Guys and Gals

I have an hard drive from an old computer which has windows 7 on it plus a lot of programs and games that I would like to put into my computer that has windows 8.1 on it. Now to my question can I install it as  slave drive and If I want to use some programs on it how do I do it.

Thanks In Advance

John

An Australian Living in the USA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:48 PM

Geed Evening JohnWJ,

Programs will have to be reinstalled on the drive with W8.1, data on the old drive can be accessed for read, write and delete activities.

You might be able to install it as a second boot drive so you have a dual boot system then you could use everything on the old drive under W7 and all the new stuff on the new drive under W8.1

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 JohnWJ

JohnWJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:16 PM

Geed Evening JohnWJ,

Programs will have to be reinstalled on the drive with W8.1, data on the old drive can be accessed for read, write and delete activities.

You might be able to install it as a second boot drive so you have a dual boot system then you could use everything on the old drive under W7 and all the new stuff on the new drive under W8.1

Keep us posted

Dick..

Thanks for  the info how would I go about using the second drive as a dual boot system

John

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:28 PM

I'm assuming that this is a desktop and that you have empty slots to install additional HDD units.

If you put it into the box and connect it as the #2 drive, moving the DC/DVD to #3 if necessary it should be found the next time you boot the system

NOTE!!

be sure the power cord is unplugged while you play inside the box. Also, be sure you are grounded. A bit of static here and there can make a mess of a computer.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 JohnWJ

JohnWJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:30 AM

I'm assuming that this is a desktop and that you have empty slots to install additional HDD units.

If you put it into the box and connect it as the #2 drive, moving the DC/DVD to #3 if necessary it should be found the next time you boot the system

NOTE!!

be sure the power cord is unplugged while you play inside the box. Also, be sure you are grounded. A bit of static here and there can make a mess of a computer.

Keep us posted

Dick

Thank you for the information I will be doing this tomorrow or wedensday and I will post the results

John

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:39 AM

If the two computers have different hardware, I doubt you would be able to boot Windows 7 especially if you have SecureBoot enabled in BIOS of the Windows 8 computer. Windows 7 would see different hardware and not boot but I may be wrong.

#7 JohnWJ

JohnWJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:56 AM

If the two computers have different hardware, I doubt you would be able to boot Windows 7 especially if you have SecureBoot enabled in BIOS of the Windows 8 computer. Windows 7 would see different hardware and not boot but I may be wrong.

Interesting how would I find out if i have secure boot

John

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:16 AM

Any OEM computer with Windows 8 has secure boot enabled in BIOS. For newer computers it's called UEFI, not BIOS. The OEM UEFI also has the Windows 8 serial key embedded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users