Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 wont boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 XxXShadsXxX

XxXShadsXxX

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:40 PM

So recently my windows 8.1 lenovo G500 laptop was working really slowly, so i decided to restart the pc to see if that helped. But when I restarted it wouldn't boot anymore!

Basically when i try to boot normally it either comes up with automatic repair and then has the loading screen for a long time and then just a blank screen forever, or it will have the loading screen and then come up with the blue screen with a sad smiley face and say that it needs to reboot, and then when it reboots it does the loading screen and then blank screen forever.

I have one touch recovery, which i have tried, but its not working. I can get into the first screen, but when i go to recovery system is says loading files and then goes to a blank screen forever again. 

I have loaded a live version of ubuntu onto a pen drive and recovered all of my files that way.

So now I need to figure out how to either fix it so it boots again, or wipe it back to factory settings.

So my question is, does anyone know how i can figure out what has gone wrong so i can try and fix it through ubuntu, or does anyone know how i can get it to revert to factory settings when the recovery system doesn't seem to be working?

Also note, the laptop did not come with a software cd or reinstallation cd, and I don't know what has happened to the recovery pen drive that had been made of the pc. So If you know a way to make it revert to factory settings it would need to be something that can be done without those things, or have a way for me to create a new back up file through ubuntu first.

Ps. I know almost nothing about the workings of pc software/hardware etc, ive only got this far because of google :P :P

please be gentel, and step by step in laymans terms please

Thanks in advance for any help or solutions you can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

If it came with a operating system disc you can always try the automatic repair options that are provided in the "Repair My Computer" area when you load it. However, if its like most computers that don't have a disk with it, you can try......

If you have a friend that can dock your hard drive with their computer, you can get them to run a chkdsk.

To Run chkdsk while the hard drive is docked:

1. Open the "My Computer"

2. Find your hard drive, probably labeled D,F,E, etc...

3. Right click on the drive picture, click properties

4. Click on the "tools" tab

5. In "Error checking" click "Check now" it should have a picture of a shield in the button)

You Could Also Try A System File Check

To Run A System File Check

1. Click The Start Button in the bottom left

2. Search for cmd

3. Right click on "cmd" and click "Run As Administrator"

4. Find out your drives label, probably laveled D, F, E, etc...

5. Type The Drive letter like so ( D: )

6. It should show just " D:\> " on the left side, showing you're now on the D: labeled drive

7. Type " sfc/scannow " and let it go to town and have fun checking for stuff

8. If it found anything it'll say that it found redundancy issues or something like that. At this point it will be safe to remove from the computer you plugged it into

I can't really say too much, I've had several computers at a library we help just completely go into automatic repair in an indefinite cycle rather than giving you a logical option to try something else. Windows 8(.1) is magical in itself with its struggles.

You can always use that built in option that restores to factory condition, if its different from the one button thing you're talking about. From another forum:

" Restart computer and keep pressing F11 and it will start the Product Recovery program. When you see the Product Recovery Program Main Menu, select Full Recovery or Factory Contents and follow the instructions on the screen. "

Copy Files Using The Ubuntu Live CD

1. In the upper left, click on the ubuntu symbol and type "terminal" click on the >_ terminal button

2. Once the terminal is open look on the far left, it'll say something like root@root-desktop

3. If it doesn't say root, type  "sudo -s" then it should show you as root

4. Now, Type " nautilus " This will open the file browser you're use to seeing, but this is opened in a higher privelage level and should allow you to transfer files to a flash drive.

Note: Without the root privelaged nautilus file explorer, it will complain that you don't have the privelage level to move the files

If you're content with the data you have backed up and don't really mind wiping and reinstalling your operating system, then go ahead and reinstall and forget this bump in the road

Past all of that.... I'd either try to find someone with a windows disc to reload your system, or.... if you don't mind adjusting and adventuring a bit, you can always install ubuntu, its gotten ALOT more user friendly and aesthetically pleasing since I started using it in 2006. Its now my primary operating system over windows. It uses .deb rather than the most common .exe or .msi like windows uses. Regardless, if you're in a pinch and would like something to get you by until you get what you want, I highly suggest ubuntu.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 08 November 2014 - 11:00 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users