Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SysWow64

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dali718

dali718

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

Hi.  It seems that SysWow64 has infected my computer.  I'm getting syswow64/chkdsk.exe pop-ups a lot.  Also, Utorrent keeps crashing.  I can run it as Administrator, but no new torrents can dl.  Malwarebytes shows domains associated with Syswow64 as searchnet.blinkxcore.com and fff5ee.com.  I'm using windows 8.  I've used Malwarebytes.  No malicious items were detected.  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:19 PM

WoW64 (Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit) is a subsystem of the Windows operating system capable of running 32-bit applications and is included on all 64-bit versions of Windows—including Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, IA-64 and x64 versions of Windows Server 2003, as well as 64-bit versions of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, Windows 8.1 and even Windows 10.

In Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Core, it is an optional component.

NOTE : WoW64 is simply designed to take care of many of the differences between 32-bit Windows and 64-bit Windows, particularly involving structural changes to Windows itself.

Any Torrents sites / downloads is what you first delete to stop infections.

WoW64 is normal on any 64bit Windows system ..........

Run a Disk Check on your Main Hard Drive in Windows:
• Click Start and open Computer
• Right-click on C: (or your main Hard Drive letter) and select Properties
• Click on the Tools tab
• Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
• Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
• Click on the Start button
• When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and RESTART your computer
• Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so
NOTES : This can take from 1 to 2 hours to complete depending on your system, so let it continue
Do not Reboot during the scan, as you can (will) lose data from the system.
If this is a laptop, plug it into a reliable power source, as batteries do fail.
Once completed, the computer will reboot back to Normal Mode.

Run System File Check from an >> Elevated Command Prompt <<
 1. Open Elevated Command Prompt as per directions
 2. Type sfc /scannow and press Enter. Note the space between "( c and / )" it must be there.
 3. (On average).This should not take longer than 20 minutes to finish
 4. NOTE 1 : Do not touch the keyboard while this is running

5 . NOTE 2 : If this is a laptop, plug it into a reliable power source, as batteries do fail.

Beyond this, I have trouble understanding your problem ........ :)

Regards -

#3 dali718

dali718
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:49 PM

Thx.  I ran the disk check and System file check.  I got "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."  

My computer has slowed to a crawl.  Other problems have been popping up too.  I get window box popups that say "problem starting acikmao.dll.  The specified module could not be found."

And, "Windows Powershell has stopped working."  I'm also unable to start a scan on Spybot search and destroy.  I get, "Unable to execute file:  C:\Programfiles (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDScan.exe.

The requested file requires elevation."  

Sorry for the late reply.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:43 PM

You may be infected with Poweliks.

If you are having trouble downloading files with Internet Explorer, follow these instructions to re-enable downloads/reset all Security zones to default.

Please download ESETPoweliksCleaner and save it to your Desktop logo.png
  • Double-click on ESETPoweliksCleaner.exe to start the tool.
  • Read the terms of the End-user license agreement and click Agree if you agree to them.
  • The tool will run automatically. If the cleaner finds a Poweliks infection, press the Y key on your keyboard to remove it.
    1.png
  • If Poweliks was detected "Win32/Poweliks was successfully removed from your system" will be displayed.
  • Press any key to exit the tool and reboot your computer.
    2.png
  • The tool will produce a log in the same directory the tool was run from.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that log in your next reply.
Note: If the log is too long...you may need to split it and use multiple replies in order to post all the information.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 dali718

dali718
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:34 PM

Thx.  I took my computer to a tech.  He rebooted my hard drive.  70 bucks.  Problem solved.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:37 AM

Ok. That's one way to solve an issue.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif