Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some downloaded movies won't play

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:05 PM

This is not a problem with the OS. It's a problem with movies I have downloaded, some of which  won't play, or play without sound.

When I try to play them, there's a problem. Either it plays, but without sound, or I get a popup that says I need to get some software to make it work. Many others have worked beautifully.

The problem ones are formats using .avi, .flv, and sometimes mp4 extensions, all of which are quite standard. But the .avi ones won't play, even in Windows Media Player (yes, I checked that it will play .avi files). So how can an .avi file NOT play? Unless somebody tampered with the coding of the extension somehow. I'm no expert on such things. Similar things have been done to SOME of the .flv and mp4 movies, too. They all have to have additional software. But none of it appears to be offered at the DivX site.

I use mostly DivX and WMP for playing videos. My system is W7.

Most of the time, just to GET the downloads, I had to jockey around at the sites - they didn't give the download sites in a truly straightforward manner. Some asked me to "upgrade" Flash, and I rejected that until I went to the Flash site and found my software was entirely up to date. So it seemed obvious the "update" I was being offered was - not lovely.

Though the site that gives the list of sites offering a particular movie is not Grade A, its WOT rating is perfect. I DO get what they offer, but it's the sites they direct me to, the ones that have the movies that glut my browser with unwanted URLs, lots of ads and other gimmicks that are a problem. But even most of THOSE sites have a high WOT rating. I've done scans of my system, and none of those sites have infected me, but some put PUPs on my system. Once in a while, something pops up (usually not at my request) that is infected, and Avast warns me, so I leave promptly.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the downloaded movies that work. I want to play those unplayable movies that are on my PC. None appear to have infections. What can I do to make them play?

I'd really appreciate your input. If you're familiar with sites like these, I'd like to know anything you can tell me about them.

Holly B.

Edited by boopme, 08 November 2014 - 05:10 PM.
Fixed Title spelling

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:13 PM

Have you tried VLC media player? I have run into very few media files that VLC will not play, unless of course the file itself is corrupt; and it still may play it....

#3 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

When I tried to play a few of them on WMP, it said the reason it couldn't play might have to do with a codec used when compressing the file. They were files that WMP can use, like .flv, .avi and MP4. Despite the correct extension, they couldn't be played. I'm going to try the VLC player, too. More options always help. Thanks.

#4 chad755066239

chad755066239

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:21 AM

Try downloading the k lite codec pack:

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Been using this for years and have had no problem playing any kind of file with WMP VLC is okay too but I like Windows Media Player better.

Hope this works.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:41 AM

When I tried to play a few of them on WMP, it said the reason it couldn't play might have to do with a codec used when compressing the file. They were files that WMP can use, like .flv, .avi and MP4. Despite the correct extension, they couldn't be played. I'm going to try the VLC player, too. More options always help. Thanks.

There are newer versions of codecs, which is why outwardly they appear the same with the same file extensions, but inside they are different...

I also recommend VLC. I used KLite with WinAmp for many years and found it great... but now I believe VLC is the best available free player.

#6 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:02 PM

You guys should all be wearing capes! Can't thank you enough. I downloaded the k-lite codec and the VLC player. Don't know which did the trick; maybe both did. What matters, though, is that everything I couldn't play now plays! And I admire VLC for its flexibility.

In downloading some of these movies, I refused to "upgrade" Flash or download their codecs, because I didn't trust them.

Now I can keep on not trusting them.

Thanks to you!

If I could be in your presence, I'd give you all a big plate of cookies. Or a big hug. You ARE the best.

Holly B.

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:31 PM

If I could be in your presence, I'd give you all a big plate of cookies. Or a big hug. You ARE the best.

Holly B.

Love cookies! Hahahahah

On a side note: You happen to know anyone named Jimmy in Cola SC?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users