Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My CPU is VERY Slow

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:56 PM

It's a 2.40Ghz CPU (Intel Corel Quad4), and my system uses both 32bit and 64bit. My system is W7. When I first got it, everything was very fast, but it has been slowing down dramatically in the last few months.

I bought my system a year ago, used, and it's old. My CPU's graph now shows it's barely functional. So I probably will have to replace it. But till then, is there some way I can "goose" it into more robust activity?

The same processor is shown four times in Device Drivers. Why is that? I'm sure I only have one. The device drivers are up to date.

Any advice to make the processor more active?

Holly B.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:11 AM

hello,

is your computer a laptop or desktop?

the intel core2 quad is basically four processor cores in one chip, it has been in use since 2007 and is quite dated, yet still one of the most dependable processors ever. what you are seeing in the device manager is normal. also, what you are seeing in task manager as low cpu activity is  normal also for an idling system, if one or more cores were spiking high, that would be cause for concern.

there are quite a few things that could be causing the sluggish performance. if it is ok, can you publish your speccy info? that very well may provide the information needed to diagnose the sluggishness as hardware related or something else.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Edited by synergy513, 09 November 2014 - 01:15 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

CPUs do not start slowing down with age; they either operate properly or fail altogether. It is your system that is slowing down dramatically. That means that something is loading so much work on the CPU that it is taking longer to process the information. You did not mention blue screens, system crashing, freezing or other system failures which usually indicate hardware problems or system conflicts.  In the majority of cases what you are experiencing is caused by "autoloaders" loading on boot in the background and you are not aware of them. These typically are BHOs, Tool Bars, Spyware and Adware, and PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs). It also can be caused by virus(es), especially trojans, loading in the background and that is a cause for concern.

Go Here and download JRT and ADWCLEANER (free) and run them. They are safe to use and will not damage your system. Allow them to remove anything they find, I would guess it will be a lot. They offer to create a log, do that and keep it. Note: do not download / run any other tools on that site, some of these can damage your system if not used correctly.

After that, I suggest you go over to the Malware forum, post what you did here and let them check you out for viruses. I suggest that you tell the person who helps you that you want all BHOs and Toolbars and PUPs removed from your system. Sometimes the technician that helps you is looking only for known viruses and disregards these others that I detailed above. These will slow your computer a lot.

Post back and let us know how it goes.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:46 PM

To both of you: I've downloaded Speccy. Thanks for the reference. I want to thank you also for comforting me about my CPU. Old or otherwise, it's good to hear it is dependable. I might have gone out and spent a lot of money on a new one I don't need. It won't do any spiking of individual sections that I can detect in the graphs of CPU activity. They only show one, overall, graph.

Now I know I've got to look elsewhere for the cause of my problem.

I will use Speccy, but worry about publishing it. It's already easy enough for hackers to get a few intimate details about my system. Giving them access to the whole kit and kaboodle sounds unwise. It doesn't mean I don't trust those who maintain the site, either. It means I can't know what might be done when other people control or access the site. Once it's up on the web, it never gets off. My equipment will probably croak before any danger occurs, but I'd still like to know about this unique site mentioned. Particularly how the data can be relied upon to NOT be abused.

Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid, but I've been hacked several times, requiring format of C and reinstall of the OS. I'm used to it, but it's a nuisance. Once, while in an offline game, I got a popup from Windows apologizing that it couldn't open "Email+Passwords.doc." Of COURSE it couldn't! I hadn't reinstalled Word after the last hack! So I did something naughty.

I installed Word, then removed the contents of the file to another .doc with an obscure name. Then I refilled the file with language that would ionize the atmosphere if spoken. Not ladylike, I know, but I just couldn't resist. Then I hoped they'd try again. Tee hee.

I await a response about the security of the unique site before publishing Speccy results. And THANKS! Your site has always been responsible, and I have great respect for you.

Holly B.

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:12 PM

In the meantime, you can look in your task manager and see if there are processes taking up a lot of cpu, and then find out if they are legitimate processes or malware.

You can scan and clean the computer with "malwarebytes anti-malware" and adwcleaner.

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:32 AM

as stated above, those trusted applications can be used to uncover anything that is  using system resources unknowingly to the user. the task manager can be used reliably to list resource appropriations also, as stated above.Attached File  task.JPG   89.86KB   0 downloads

Edited by synergy513, 15 November 2014 - 08:34 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#7 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:59 PM

I've tried using task manager, and I get a bunch of files using the CPU (which says they are running). Trouble is,  I haven't got the expertise to recognize the ones I don't need. I bought the system used, with W7 already installed. HE might have installed parts of the OS that I have no use for, but I don't know how to determine that. Since I wasn't given the W7 disk, I can't uninstall it and reinstall with only the features I want. My needs are very simple, so most of the bells and whistles are unnecessary.

That list is very long. Even if I knew how to go about identifying whether I need them or not, it would take ages.

The system DID work fast at first, though. So I'm thinking something changed and is now hogging resources. I have Malwarebytes and other scanners as well. None seem to be finding the problem - just a few PUPs and a very occasional virus.

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:18 PM

If the computer has no viruses or malware on it (an assessment no one here is going to (be able to) make if you don't follow their instructions), then a possible slowdown culprit can be overheating problems. Too much dust in the heatsinks, or broken fans, etc. I believe Speccy will show you cpu temperatures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users