Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access website I used to visit regularly last year

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 witchswan

witchswan

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:34 PM

Windows 7 HP X64 fully updated.  (one update failed on October 15th KB2952664 it was supposed to prepare the system for possible upgrade of the software.)  DSL hardwired into the computer from the modem.  No router.  Turn everything off every night and unplug whenever thunder is near.

This is a real head scratcher.  Am copying parts of relevant posts from a computer help group where I was advised to reload Windows 7.  Hoping for a far less drastic solution.  I've been trying to access a website for the last 2 months and cannot get it to load in Firefox 33.0.3 just get a white page, nothing loads at all.  In IE 11, or Google Chrome, both fully updated I sometimes get a partial load of the site which can take over 5 minutes to load, but no photos etc.  Looks more like a DOS or HTML web page than a windows one.

I contacted the owners of the site by email for assistance.   They answered and told me I am not blocked by the site and am still registered there and asked for screenshots of any error messages, there were no error messages.  So sent them screenshots of what I see in each of the browsers, but have had no reply since.

If I got this right, first time user of flicker, here are the screenshots in the flicker album I created

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127743442@N08/sets/72157648453743851/

I have no web sites blocked in any browser.  Only Firefox has add-ons and even with Firefox in safe mode the site will not load.

The only system difference I remember in the last year is changing from Avast Free to AVG Free for anti-virus protection.  It seems that it is not possible to block sites in AVG free from what I read in their Forum.  Is it possible the site was blocked by the Windows firewall without my knowledge?  I have no idea how to check on that.  Here is the URL of the site I'm having problems with.

Explore Ideas | Aviva Community Fund

My system shows the correct date and time.

There is another site I have had problems with for over a year. 

Desktop Nexus Wallpapers - Background Images, Wallpaper, Desktop Wallpapers, Computer Backgrounds

1852505-thumbnail.jpg

Desktop Nexus Wallpapers - Background Images, Wallp...
Download free computer wallpapers, pictures, and desktop backgrounds. A unique community with something for everyone! Find a new, fresh, high-qualit...

Preview by Yahoo

I see the home page just fine except for the top pictures in the middle of the screen, but when I click on any of the icons for the wallpapers to see a larger version of the picture it does not display in any of the 3 browsers.  In Firefox, bottom left hand corner of the window get the message - waiting for cahche.desktopnexus.com - whenever I am on that site.  When I go to a group at Care2.com where another member posts pictures from desktopnexus those pictures do not display for me (they do for all the other members of the group) and the same message about waiting is displayed in the Firefox window.  But when those group posts are emailed to me the pictures do display in the emails.

This morning yet another site will not show me any photos, here is that address.

http://news.distractify.com/culture/wildlife-photos-of-the-year/

I scan every Sunday with both Malwarebytes and Sophos Virus removal tool and also run the Junkware removal tool.  Every scan comes up clean.  I scan daily with AVG Free every scan comes up clean. 

Asked my ISP and they are not blocking any sites, the customer service rep was able to access both the Aviva and Desktopnexus sites with Firefox.  So it is only my computer that is at fault.

Restored defaults in Windows Firewall.

Also ran the Trend Micro Housecall scan, it was clean.  Then ran Malwarebytes in safe mode with networking, also clean.

Reset IE 11 no change.

As a test I temporarily disabled the AVG and started Firefox in safe mode to go to only the Aviva site, after a few minutes waiting it still would not display.

After that I tried to diagnose the problem with the Aviva site in the Windows Firewall - Internet connections section, it found no problems!

Looked through a link found from the help in Win 7 and the DNS settings in both Internet Protocol Version 6 and 4 are set to automatic.

Control Panel again, then Internet Options. On the first page (“General”) go down to Browsing History and click the Delete button.  Did this, no change.

Ran CCleaner, adware cleaner, flushed the DNS, and ran some Microsoft fix-its.  Also looked for an updated driver for the LAC, already have the latest.

In the morning on October 10th I was able to get to both the Aviva site, (although still not able to log on the site was otherwise working perfectly), and the desktopnexus site.  All the pictures on desktopnexus were showing the larger versions for me.  It must have been something I did the day before and forgot to restart the computer afterwards.  I was so happy!   Sadly by the evening, 8 hours later,  neither site would load again.  Maybe one of the MS fix-its I ran did the trick temporarily, but I do not remember what they were or how I found them.

On October 13th ran

NetAdapter Repair All In One 1.2 and allowed it to make all the changes, but am still unable to access the problematic sites.

Can anyone suggest something other than re-installing Windows 7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:59 PM

I would download and install CCleaner if you have not already and ( I see you already have it) clean any of your browser cache. Does this solve the problem? If not disable your antivirus and try accessing the first site you posted.

If that does not work see if using OpenDNS servers will work. Here is a guide. Remember to flush your DNS cache. Also your browser cache with CCleaner after changing the DNS servers. It would probably help if you rebooted your computer too.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 November 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:25 PM

The other two sites load fine. I have been to Desktop Nexus in the past. But the Aviva site doesn't load properly. It looks like the problem is on their end. I presume there are graphics but they don't load. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

The Aviva site loads fine for me.

#5 witchswan

witchswan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:52 PM

JohnC 21 I had already turned off the antivirus and used Firefox in safe mode to try the sites a few weeks ago it didn't help.  Followed your instructions today and the sites still do not load for me. 

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:40 AM

You can check if the site is down or not. I would remove AVG also and reinstall flash plugins (Java if needed) just in case at this point just to check the difference. http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

Edited by jhayz, 10 November 2014 - 08:41 AM.

Tekken

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:42 AM

Can you open the page in firefox if you disable hardware acceleration?

#8 witchswan

witchswan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:13 AM

Disabling hardware acceleration does not make a difference, rebooted just to make sure the change took.

Removed all the adobe programs except the reader.  Re-installed flash, rebooted, no difference.

Java has been disabled for over 2 years as that program is so full of holes.  I have never needed to activate it.  The Aviva site worked properly last year with Java disabled.

The site is up, that is always the first thing I try when a website does not load for me.  Have a bookmark for the site you gave the link to and use it as the first diagnostic tool.

Since disabling AVG and rebooting without it running does not get the sites to load, or only partially load do I really have to remove it?  I thought disabling it and trying the Aviva site was proof AVG is not the problem.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:27 AM

Does the site still fail to load when you put the Aviva address in this webpage?

#10 witchswan

witchswan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:37 AM

Got this message

Error

Only the VIP-Version of Anonymouse supports encrypted connections!

It is very strange.  I can get to the Aviva Canada website no problem.  http://www.avivacanada.com/  It is not HTTPS.  But the community fund site is HTTPS and that is the one I cannot get to load.

However many other HTTPS sites load perfectly for me.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:33 PM

I am not sure if AVG is still active in Safe Mode, but see if you can access the site using Safe Mode with Networking.

#12 witchswan

witchswan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:38 PM

Had already tried that weeks ago.   Decided to try again,  temporarily disabled AVG, restarted in safe mode with networking and am still unable to load the site.  Get this message in the bottom left hand side of the Firefox window.

Transferring data from secfld.vmmpxl.com...

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:29 PM

In Firefox, Go to Help and select Restart with Add-ons disabled. In Firefox safemode can you access the site?

#14 witchswan

witchswan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:38 PM

Did that weeks ago, didn't help.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:08 PM

Well, I am out of ideas other than to completely uninstall AVG. Maybe there was still some items left over from the avast uninstall that AVG is conflicting with. Hopefully jhayz has some additional thoughts on the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users