Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing operating system xp service pack 3

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 vacuum tube

vacuum tube

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:19 PM

new guy here ,old and slow so go easy. dell inspiron 1000 lap top. i have IOLO system mechanic for maintenance and protection. many techs and hours of iolo working on it and still no joy. they/we put the dell re-installation disc in but it says cant log into microsoft so they [iolo] select proceed anyway ...it gets as far a blue screen and cannot find nerd.32 sys or nurd 32 sys. they [iolo] have scanned, probed,booted/rebooted/unbooted still no joy.troubles started 10 days ago with i cant run system mechanic,no sound,no start menu/taskbar. on iolo,s web sight they say an update from them quarantined a file incorrectly rpcss.dll. hours and i mean hours of waiting for iolo to answer the phone ,getting different levels of smart techs..........................sorry for da rant

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:52 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Can you access Safe Mode by tapping F8 at boot? If you have System Restore enabled, see if there is a date available before the trouble began.

#3 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:44 PM

system restore does not work

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:58 PM

I have never heard of an install disk trying to log into Microsoft unless is was for doing updates during the install. Is there any data you need to recover from the computer? Do you have another XP computer with internet access?

#5 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:36 PM

the disc was trying to log on for updates. there is nothing i need saved /files etc on this .its is an xp ,my wife has an xps. and hers works fine

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:58 PM

Okay, see if this works. This will take the computer back to a factory state so be absolutely sure you have nothing on the computer you need. Any programs installed since purchase will have to be reinstalled. So you would need any registration keys if the programs were purchased.

Hold the Ctrl key down and power on the computer. At the same time it is powering on, tap the F11 key. If you still have the recovery partition, you should see a Dell Recovery Manager open. From there follow the prompts to do a factory reset. You may have to try this a few times to get the Recovery Manager to open on boot.

#7 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:47 AM

thank you.....it sounds scary. will i need discs and code keys for wireless provider and logitech trackball mouse ?will it guide me on how to get back on line ? 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:02 PM

You may need the driver for the logitech mouse but the wireless drivers will be included with the reset. What you will need to do is provide the wireless security key in order to connect to the internet.

You would need to download all the security updates again including SP3 if the computer did not come with the latest Service Pack. XP is no longer being supported with security updates. I would not be doing any banking or online purchasing with a XP computer. As time goes by, more security holes will be discovered in XP and they will no longer be patched by Microsoft. That stopped in April of this year.

#9 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:20 PM

the more threads i read about this xp lappy the more i wanna take it out back and reboot it with 7.62MM. then high ho off to buy a mac/apple mini....why keep putting lipstick on this xp pig.sadly the folks at IOLO seem clueless on how to fix it and its a paid service

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:40 PM

Depending on what you use it for, the laptop would run great with Linux Mint Xfce.

#11 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:59 PM

i use it to chat on about 5 forums,sometimes i will play a movie.i look stuff up on it sometimes i rarely order/buy stuff with it. as my sign in name i am old still have a rotary phone [my wife has a cell] i check and send e mail. i can check my bank statements but i do not do any online banking/billpaying.to my knowledge i having nothing on it that requires backing up.i believe all these issues [lost start menu/taskbar on full page,no sound on voice mail,lost page if i minimize,can run system mechanic] are all caused by IOLO 

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:09 PM

Linux Mint Xfce would work good for what you do. You can start a thread in the Linux Forum. There are a lot of helpful people there and ask them about doing a factory reset on your computer or going with Linux. It's your choice.

You can download the Linux iso file and burn that to a bootable DVD. You do not have to install it. You could test it out and see how you like it. There will be a bit of a learning curve. At least you would not have to worry to much about infections as linux does not have that big of base. Malware writers go for Windows.

You would want Mint 17 Xfce. You can use isoburner to create the disk.

The only problem I see is if your default RAM size is 256MB. It would have a hard time even running linux xfce. Personally, if you can afford it, I would look at purchasing a new laptop.

#13 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:20 PM

i believe all these issues [lost start menu/taskbar on full page,no sound on voice mail,lost page if i minimize,can run system mechanic] are all caused by IOLO 

Iolo System Mechanic is a "PC Optimizer".  I would advise you to stop using it.  Please read this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/524004/is-speedypc-pro-safe/?p=3286593

#14 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:37 PM

we got iolo because dell ,s support was ending and dell recommended it. funny as i was read your post [not logged in ] this site had an add for iolo 

#15 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:07 AM

i down loaded combofixit from here and it down loaded "microsoft windows recovery console" then combofix got stuck [froze] and i had to shutdown the putor. what does the console do ? figures...my luck   i got a call from iolo saying they will have a tech work on my putor today so i better not select console.thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users