Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AD error: "Object Picker cannot open because no locations from which to choose o

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pimpo

pimpo

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:42 PM

Hi,

When I try in AD management console in the domain controller to add a new group for a user I get the following error:

"Object Picker cannot open because no locations from which to choose objects can be found" error message when you try to select objects from an Active Directory domain in Windows 2000

Our domain controller is a W2000 cluster (two W2000 advanced server machines) and this happens in one of the nodes of the controller while in the other node it Works well (the difference between them is where it fails, has the resources: print, file sharing and quorum services). Both nodes of the controller have the remote registry service disabled and in the node where it fails when you start this service it works well but I don`t think this is the reason because in the other node with remote registry service disabled it works. Solutions from the following support articles don`t work:

kb 263231

kb 284914

I have checked that the situation is independent of the domain administrator who tries to add the group to the user.

Can anybody help me? Which is the reason of this different behaviour from one cluster node to another ?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:39 AM

Check Remote Registry service, if it fails that couse the problem.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:13 PM

The error will occur when the remote registry service is not started on the DC you are logged into and trying to make the changes from. http://windowsitpro.com/windows/jsi-tip-5462-object-picker-cannot-open-because-no-locations-which-choose-objects-could-be-fo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users