Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSE using more R.A.M than normal?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 titan1

titan1

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:31 AM

Today I unistalled avast! From my laptop as the latest update was causing some problem.And installed MSE.But now I am seeing that Ram usage is about 41%(while idle).While using avast! It was around 33%(while idle).I am sure that avast has been properly unistalled because I don't see any folder of avast in C: /program files.Any idea about what to do?I have MBAM free,hitman pro and herdprotect as on demand scanner.
My system specs are-
CPU-core i3 second gen
R.A.M-2GB
HDD-500GB
Graphics card-1GB intel
OS-Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:20 PM

Put Panda cloud free instead this MSE.

Edited by Alex&Vanko, 08 November 2014 - 03:26 PM.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:22 PM

What tool did you use to come with the figure of 41%?

Task Manager?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:06 PM

Today I unistalled avast! From my laptop as the latest update was causing some problem.

v2015.10.0.2208 was released yesterday. Can you be more specific....what type of problems did the update cause?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 titan1

titan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:01 PM

@alex&vanko I don't use the internet much,only twice or thrice a week,and I have a limited data plan,so I am not confident about panda cloud.
@didier stevens I used task manager to see the RAM usage.
@quietman7 the latest update was 2015.10.0.2208 which you mentioned.After installing it,It quarantined ccdversion.exe as rootkit.It was a part of powerbios server.I extracted it from quarantine to an folder excluded from avast real time protection and uploaded to virus total,the file came up with only one detection from "The Hacker",even avast was not detecting it as malicious in virus total.Then I reported it as false positive.But then again It was causing some lags in gaming,that is why I uninstalled it.I will soon shift to ESET,but right now I have to go with MSE.But what about the 41%?will it get to normal automatically?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:51 PM

What happens when you reboot the computer?

#7 titan1

titan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:44 AM

Today I turned on the computer and then I checked the task manager,and it was showing 43% RAM usage.I ran a full scan with MSE,which took about 1hour to complete,and then rebooted.Now the RAM usage is around 32%.But the responsiveness of the computer increased.Though avast! Had a small ram usage,it reduced the responsiveness of my pc.Well, I am happy now.

#8 titan1

titan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:49 AM

I have a last question.In my computer windows update is set to "notify when a new update is available".Because I install the updates after 4 days of it's release date,so that I can make sure by googling that they are not causing any problems.But will MSE update daily it's virus definition automatically?Because I have read that MSE updates it's definition through windows auto update.And I have set the update settings to notification mode.That is why I am asking.

#9 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:40 AM

Hello titan1:

Many of us are familiar with Microsoft's minimum RAM requirements for Windows 7. 

Yet is there a particular restriction that impedes the upgrading of your computer's RAM to perhaps 4 if not 8GB or more?

System responsiveness would noticeably improve and nearly all RAM usage issues would likely become non-existent.

I'll also mention in passing that avast! has their own purpose built uninstall utility which you can still run despite your present install of MSE.

Thank you.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#10 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:21 AM

Yet is there a particular restriction that impedes the upgrading of your computer's RAM to perhaps 4 if not 8GB or more?

Yes, titan1 wrote that he uses 32-bit Windows. So 4GB is the maximum.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#11 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:23 AM

OK.

Is your computer slower? Otherwise, I would not care about the higher memory consumption.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler

#12 titan1

titan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:18 AM

OK.

Is your computer slower? Otherwise, I would not care about the higher memory consumption.

no,it isn't slow.but it is performing better now.umm,would you please help me about my query about auto update of MSE?I have asked it above.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:42 AM

I have read that MSE updates it's definition through windows auto update.And I have set the update settings to notification mode.That is why I am asking.

Microsoft Security Essentials auto-updates once every 24 hours. See the MSE Definitions/Signatures Update FAQ. However, you can always manually download definition updates (32-bit or 64-bit) from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center.

How to manually download the latest definition updates for Microsoft Security Essentials
Updating your Microsoft antimalware and antispyware software
MajorGeeks: MSE Definition Updates alternate download link

#14 titan1

titan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:14 AM

@quietman 7, I read the FAQ,I was a little bit confused.does it mean that though I have set windows update to notify,MSE will automatically check and install updates every 24 hours,and I will not have to do anything manually to keep MSE updated?

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:22 AM

MSE will automatically check and notify you (if that is your setting) regardless of manually downloading updates on demand. The notification may me that you have already downloaded the latest updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users