Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When you uninstall a program

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JSTJ704

JSTJ704

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:56 AM

Hello everyone I got a question I got win 7 when you uninstall a program it leaves files etc behide these bugs the heck out of me becucuase I like to keep things clean. I allways have to going progams etc usr etc and delete all these left overs. Is there any tips of settings or anything I can do about this. I been whating to post this for a long time. A persone would think uninstall a program in control panel would removal all of it but it doesn't. any I deas what do you pros do

thanks in advance Justin

Also to when you click the windows Icon left corner on desktop to open start panel where you can do a search I seem to never find what I need to. such as in the past I tired Bitdefender out I uninstalled I wanted to find all the left overs in the search box i typed bitfender it find anything. I had to c: etc. Can I change settings in the search in the start panel if so how. If I could to find left over files that would be alot easier. I remember in the past windows xp you could.

Edited by JSTJ704, 08 November 2014 - 10:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:14 AM

Most programs, when they are uninstalled, leave leftovers, not only in the usual locations (i.e. Program Files, AppData, etc.) but also in the Registry.  Blame that on the developer of the program for not taking the time to write a good uninstaller.  Nevertheless, these leftovers won't do any harm or affect the performance of your machine.  If it bugs you then you'll have to hunt down the leftovers and delete them manually.  Furthermore, you'd better know what you are doing if you tamper with the Registry, and that includes using registry cleaners and optimizers without any idea of exactly what they are "cleaning".

Edited by Agouti, 08 November 2014 - 10:16 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:06 AM

If you make a mistake while editing the registry you can turn your computer into a very expensive door stop.

As for registry cleaners and optimizer software.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:56 AM

You should try Revo Uninstaller which removed orphan files as part of its process.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:11 PM

You should try Revo Uninstaller which removed orphan files as part of its process.

Revo Uninstaller will not remove the detritus left behind when a program is uninstalled.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:50 PM

Agreed, Revo does not take all the little bits....

Try    SEARCH EVERYTHING

It is Freeware

It has an interesting FAQ's page

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#7 JSTJ704

JSTJ704
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:31 AM

Thanks Guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users