Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to disable "MS Security Centre Virus Protection" but keep Windows Firewall?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dharmaman

Dharmaman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

[Win XP-Pro-SP3] My "Security Center - Virus Protection" does not offer a way  tp turn it off. Just 'Internet Options', 'Windows Firewall', and 'Automatic Updates'. Virus Protection' shows ON. 'Firewall' shows ON. 'Automatic Updates' shows OFF (of course since it is unsupported XP)
I would like to keep the firewall, but turn off the virus checking because it has become unreliable and I am using another product instead.
Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:59 PM

Open Control Panel.....Select Security Center.....,..On left side of Security Center select 'Change The Way Security Center Alerts Me.' Check or Uncheck Alert Settings.

Attached Files

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 Dharmaman

Dharmaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:24 PM

Open Control Panel.....Select Security Center.....,..On left side of Security Center select 'Change The Way Security Center Alerts Me.' Check or Uncheck Alert Settings.

Thank you for your suggestion. But it's not applicable.  I'm not concerned by the way "Security Center" alerts me to the status of the Firewall, WindowsUpdates, and the VirusProtection status.  What I wish to do is to disable the MS SecurityCenter's VirusProtection [i.e. turn it off or uninstall it] since I intend to use another AntiVirusProgram.

Any ideas?

Thanks for trying,

:)

Edited by Dharmaman, 10 November 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#4 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

To temporarily disable/turn off your Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) antivirus program:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2025707/how-to-temporarily-disable-microsoft-security-essentials.html

However, since you’ve mentioned wanting to install a different antivirus program in place of MSE, you’ll want to instead completely uninstall MSE instead of merely disabling it, by going to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, selecting MSE, and running the uninstall from there.

If you are somehow unable to uninstall MSE from the Add or Remove Programs feature in Control Panel, use the following to try a manual uninstall:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2483120

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#5 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:02 AM

No need to disable the Windows Security Center.  After you install the new anti-virus program, it will be reflected in WSC.  

Attached Files

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,903 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:36 AM

What I wish to do is to disable the MS SecurityCenter's VirusProtection

To add to what has already been said, MS Security Center has no virus protection capability. It is just confirmation that an antivirus is installed. Whichever AV you install, if it is set up correctly, will register with Security Center, and Security Center will display that the AV is active, and raise an alert if the AV fails to report its presence. When you un-install the current AV, Security Center will complain that there is no AV, unless it has been set not to report. When the new AV is installed, Security Center will be happy.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 Dharmaman

Dharmaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:47 AM

No need to disable the Windows Security Center.  After you install the new anti-virus program, it will be reflected in WSC.  

Thank you very much, TulsaRose. You're exactly correct!

When I 'stopped' my Panda anti-virus, WSC shows me  (see pic) Attached File  WSE-1.jpg   28.66KB   0 downloads

that it's aware of Panda being stopped. And when I start Panda up again, WSC shows virus protection ON again.

My mistake was thinking that "Virus Protection ON" meant that WSC's virus protection was still active in addition to Panda.

Thank you for clarifying that. So I can continue to use the windows firewall with Panda AVP, without conflict from MSE's AVP component.

I appreciate your help.

And also thanks to Torvald and Platypus for your thoughtful input to help me understand what happening here. 

Best wishes to all.

Edited by Dharmaman, 11 November 2014 - 07:53 AM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,903 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:00 AM

You're most welcome!

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts