Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP - Sound Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bigalxyz

bigalxyz

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:31 AM

Hello Forum,

I've got an old Sony Vaio laptop running Windows XP. I want to use it as a hi-fi source - playing music through iTunes. I've got a Behringer UCA202 USB DAC installed (connected to hi-fi amp and loudspeakers).

Not working properly, though. The DAC is working in that when I click on the little loudspeaker icon in the system tray and move the volume up and down, I get a little Windows "bing" sound through my hi-fi speakers. However, when I play music in iTunes, the sound doesn't go there - instead it just plays through the laptop's internal speakers.

Does anyone know how to fix this please?

Thanks!
Alan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vacuum tube

vacuum tube

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:39 PM

i just joined but am having a no sound problem on a dell inspiron 1000. started last week along with a HOST of other problems maybe caused by my computer maintenance company [IOLO] they so far 1 plus week have not fixed it 

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:08 PM

What connection are you using to your external DAC ?

Unless I am mistaken - always possible - older Vaios only had analog external outputs and I'm not sure that current models have a digital output. A friend of mine has a three month old one which I had a look at but I wasn't looking at his audio. If you are trying to feed your DAC with an analog signal it won't work.

If you no longer have the manual to hand google "Vaio, model, specs" and see if you do have a digital output.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 bigalxyz

bigalxyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:09 AM

@Chris - external DAC connects to laptop via USB. Otherwise yes, you're right, the old Vaio would only have the analogue output via the 3.5mm headphone socket I think.

The DAC is in theory Windows XP compatible (without needed driver installation).

At any rate it's partially working - see my original posting - so sound is clearly capable of going that route.

Alan.

#5 bigalxyz

bigalxyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:21 AM

I'm embarrassed to announce that the problem was fixed by a simple reboot. The old "have you tried turning it off and on again?" IT Support response still holds good...

Sorry :-(

#6 vacuum tube

vacuum tube

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:34 AM

dont be embarrassed too many people join help type forums and post one problem then disappear never being kind enough to say it was fixed or thank the forum. the people that help here do not get paid.ssssssssssssssoooooooooooooo good for you that it is fixed :bounce:  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users