Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UEFI and Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jinaragunlark

jinaragunlark

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:49 AM

Hello!

So I'm having issues installing 7 on my UEFI PC. I recently got it back from the manufacturer and they upgraded the bios to UEFI and gave me windows 8. After having some major headaches, I decided to say screw that I'm going back to 7.

I was only able to get into the windows setup once, while using legacy. However, the drive would not allow me to install 7 on the partitions because of pdt or whatever it was.

Question: How do I install windows 7 on a uefi system? I have x64 ultimate on a usb bootable.

Ibuypower Valkyrie Cz-27
Case
Valkyrie CZ-27 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080 LED-Backlit Display Laptop w/HDMI Port, E-SATA, USB 3.0, Illuminated Keyboard, Li-Ion Battery, Universal AC Power Adapter - Original Metallic black
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-4800MQ Mobile Processor (4x 2.7GHz/6MB L3 Cache)
Memory
16GB [8GB x 2] 1600MHz DDR3 SO-DIMM Laptop Memory - Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M
Primary Hard Drive
1tb HDD
Optical Drive
6x Blu-Ray-R/8x Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + 24x CD-R/RW Combo Drive [CZ-27]
Flash Media Reader / Writer
Built-in 4-in-1 Media Card Reader/Writer [Laptop]
Sound Card
HD Audio with THX TrueStudio Pro
Network Card
Killer E2200 Gaming Networking
Internal Wireless Network Adapter
Intel Ultimate-N 6300 802.11 a/b/g/n 450Mbps Dual-Band Wi-Fi
USB Ports
Built-in 2x USB 2.0 Ports + 3x USB 3.0 Port [Laptop]
Video Camera
Built-in 2.0 Mega Pixels Digital Web Video Camera

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:15 AM

I believe when you mentioned pdt, you meant a GPT disk. You need to delete all Partitions.

Download the bootable version of  Partition Wizard. Burn the iso file and boot the disk. You will need to Disable SecureBoot and Fastboot if using USB in UEFI. If you want to use a USB you can use Rufus to create the bootable iso file. If the USB does not boot, change the partiton scheme in Rufus to GPT in the dropdown box. Delete all Partitions.

Here is a guide on how to get your Windows 7 install disk  USB to boot UEFI.  Or you can enable Legacy boot and disable it after install.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 November 2014 - 09:16 AM.

#3 jinaragunlark

jinaragunlark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:50 AM

Thanks!

So the instructions for booting from a usb worked, however, when I went to choose what drives to install windows on, it gave me a blank screen. As in, there were no disk drives to choose from!

This was in UEFI with CSM (?). I switched back to regular UEFI, but it just rejected the USB.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:19 AM

If you cannot see the drive when installing Windows 7 it may be due to not having the correct Mass Storage Drivers. When installing Windows 7, there will be a windows where with a Load Drivers button in the lower left. I am not sure what the chipset is on this computer. It should be one of the later Intel drivers.

Download the first zip file here.

f6flpy-x64.zip

Unzip it and put the files on the root directory of a USB flash drive. Here is the screen with the Load Drivers option in the lower left. Windows 7 should load the drivers and you should see your drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users