Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Time Building a PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thakarn

thakarn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:43 AM

Hello,

Firstly I'd just like to say I'm a bit of a dimwit when it comes to computer technology, and this is my first time building a computer. 

I'm looking to build a new PC that can provide a decent performance for games such as World of Warcraft, and perhaps some more recent PC games too. I'm also a student studying architecture at UCL, and our course will soon require that I use 3D rendering programmes, Autocad and photoshop amongst others. Currently I'm doing all of this on an Acer Aspire 5750, and when playing World of Warcraft, HWMonitor indicates that my laptop's core temperature runs at near 100 degrees celsius, at 1-10 fps in-game. 

Here is my first build: 
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/rwcMmG

I decided to change a few things about this; firstly, I changed the memory from 2x4GB to 1x8GB and will likely add more memory in the future to help with heavy 3D rendering and photoshop. I downscaled the SSD from 256GB to 128GB to save some money, and I changed the processor from an I5-3570k to a I5-4690k at roughly the same price. In doing so, I had to change the motherboard (the new one is now double in price! =O )

Here is my latest build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/qr7vNG

Whilst I'm currently unsure about overclocking, I wanted to select components with the potential to overclock since it is something I would like to do in the near future to maximise performance. 

Any advice on what I have here would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:50 PM

Looks pretty good.  Here's the same with a couple of possible tweaks that might help you get that extra memory now without spending any extra: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/C9vbcf

Changes - Z97-Pro for cheaper Z97-A (unless you need the extra features, the Z97-A is a well spec'd board for most purposes and perfectly up to normal overclocking (as opposed to "extreme" overclocking) - 4.5 Ghz or so should be achievable on air cooling depending on individual chip etc..

- WD Blue 2.5" drive swapped for WD Blue 3.5" drive - better performance

- HP optical drive swapped for Lite-On (HP just take someone elses drive, slap a label on it and charge double IMO!)

- Asus GTX 970 GPU swapped for MSI GPU.  Asus is an excellent brand for GPU's but then MSI is pretty good too, and it's £30 less.

Edited by jonuk76, 08 November 2014 - 12:53 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 thakarn

thakarn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for the reply; I've done alot of research since yesterday and I've actually switched a few things around on the list. The main change is the CPU, from an i5-3570k to a i7-4790k. Around £70 more expensive but since I'm going to be doing alot of intensive 3d rendering and photoshop work whilst running multiple other programmes, the speed at which the PC can perform this stuff is pretty important. I also changed to a WD black series after hearing they have better performance.

Here is my latest build which i put together a few hours ago: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/LYbw8d ( I've increased my budget by a bit )

Meanwhile I'll have a look at your suggested changes, thanks for the help!

#4 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:01 PM

Ok but 2x8GB RAM not 1x8Gb and why this old Corsair Vengeance.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmy16gx3m2a1600c9r

Ram is also important to run in dual channel for faster transfer.To have comb RAM or not depends on the cooler above CPU.Sometimes need low profile.

Edited by Alex&Vanko, 09 November 2014 - 06:14 PM.

#5 ajt49

ajt49

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:03 PM

I'd like to add nice build. I have the i5 4690k, gigabyte ga-g1 sniper z97, gigabyte asus 970 gtx, G.Skill rip jaw 2x8gb, haf xm case, believe we have the same cpu cooler, seasonic m12 II 750 watt (bronze standard) modular (originally had planned for a gtx 770), and then western digital 1tb with samsungs evo 120gb ssd. :) Almost exactly like yours. I also run matlab and heavy games at max setting (borderlands 2, borderlands pre-sequel, dirt 3, and bio shock infinite.) Everything runs wtih ease, and mad speed! 

Edited by ajt49, 09 November 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#6 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:24 AM

the only thing that stood out as something to consider is the option to upgrade to one of the pre-built water cooling units (example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181031&cm_re=Corsair_Hydro_Liquid_CPU_Cooler_H80i-_-35-181-031-_-Product)... So far, I've used them (all corsair, tho different models) with three different builds, and while they don't replace a full custom job, I've been very pleasantly surprised at their efficacy. I might get bombed for this suggestion, and - to be fair - I was skeptical at first, but I've definitely been proved wrong - - three times, anyway...

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users