Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in LEGACY from UEFI

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jinaragunlark

jinaragunlark

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:37 PM

Hello folks!

So I was having some major issues with windows 8.1 and I was just seriously tired of it. So, I wanted to reinstall windows 7 on my system. here are the specs

iBuyPower's Valkyrie CZ 27

Ibuypower Valkyrie Cz-27 $ 2131.00
Case
Valkyrie CZ-27 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080 LED-Backlit Display Laptop w/HDMI Port, E-SATA, USB 3.0, Illuminated Keyboard, Li-Ion Battery, Universal AC Power Adapter - Original Metallic black
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-4800MQ Mobile Processor (4x 2.7GHz/6MB L3 Cache)
Memory
16GB [8GB x 2] 1600MHz DDR3 SO-DIMM Laptop Memory - Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M
Primary Hard Drive
1tb HDD
Optical Drive
6x Blu-Ray-R/8x Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + 24x CD-R/RW Combo Drive [CZ-27]
Flash Media Reader / Writer
Built-in 4-in-1 Media Card Reader/Writer [Laptop]
Sound Card
HD Audio with THX TrueStudio Pro
Network Card
Killer E2200 Gaming Networking
Internal Wireless Network Adapter
Intel Ultimate-N 6300 802.11 a/b/g/n 450Mbps Dual-Band Wi-Fi
USB Ports
Built-in 2x USB 2.0 Ports + 3x USB 3.0 Port [Laptop]
Video Camera
Built-in 2.0 Mega Pixels Digital Web Video Camera

So those are the basic specs. It originally came with BIOS, but they switched and upgraded the system to UEFI.

Anyways! Back on track. So, for some reason, I thought that to install windows 7, I had to change from UEFI to legacy. I did not know that this was only for 32 bit or whatever. That doesn't matter. So, with the system in Legacy mode, I go to install 7 and I am told I cannot because the drive is GPT or whatever style.

One: how do I change my...uh.. startup back to UEFI

Two: Does GPT (or whatever) require UEFI enabled before installing a compatible windows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:05 AM

There's two ways you can go about it.  Either continue in legacy mode and delete your existing (GPT) partitions and recreate a new MBR partition table.  Or switch to UEFI mode.

To change the disk partitioning type from GPT to MBR you need to delete the existing partition table and create a new MBR partition table.  You can do this with Gparted.  Actually you can do it in Windows setup, just delete all the existing partitions and have the setup program create new ones. This will of course delete everything from the disk.

One: The same way you changed it to legacy mode - change boot mode from "Legacy" back to "UEFI" in the UEFI firmware menu (aka BIOS).

Two: Yes.  UEFI mode requires:

- 64 bit operating system

- GPT partition table on the boot drive

Legacy mode requires:

- 32 or 64 bit operating system

- MBR partition table on the boot drive

- Boot drive must be 2Tb or under

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 jinaragunlark

jinaragunlark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:09 AM

Fantastic answers! Thanks!

So I was able to get myself back into UEFI mode via the DELETE key bringing up the config once again. However, I am still having issues even starting up the install for Windows 7.

I'm currently using a bootable USB driver with x64 7. However, when I restart and expect it to boot from the USB drive, it goes into windows repair instead, because I've deleted the partitions earlier anyways.

I've manually selected the USB drive from the recovery screen, but it just loops back instead.

#4 jinaragunlark

jinaragunlark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:11 AM

I've been looking at research and it advises that I disable SecureBoot before attempting to install 7. Unfortunately, while I can get to the secure boot option panel from the UEFI configuration screen, I cannot enable or disable the SB

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:21 PM

I'm not sure why that should be to be honest.  Windows repair, is this Windows 8 repair?  Could it be running off the recovery partition?  I'm really not sure why you are not able to load Windows setup.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:19 AM

If you choose "UEFI with CSM" , your post #3 from this thread. Does that let you install Windows 7? I am not sure if you have a MSI board in the computer but if you do you can ask to have your BIOS unlocked at the MSI Forum. But, a bad BIOS update can brick your computer. Also, you would probably lose your Windows 8 key that is now part of your BIOS/UEFI firmware.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=181223.0

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=184466.0

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 November 2014 - 09:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users