Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a gaming desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 curiositykat

curiositykat

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:39 PM

I'm debating buying my first desktop computer and would like some directional advice. Black friday is coming up and wondering if it would be best to snag a prebuilt system or try building one. The other option I have been considering is buying a used likely-custom built system off craigslist after the holidays, but not sure about the risks in doing that. My budget is around $400 for the case and components, so a budget system basically. I'm not looking for a top of the line system but I do want something that will still be a decent computer 6 years from now. Currently I have a 6 year old HP Pavillion DV6700 laptop which has done very well for what it is over the years.

Any advice and suggestions are appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:57 PM

If you are up for the job, building one is better. I wouldn't buy a used custom built off craigslist, who knows what you will get - buy a prebuilt over that any day.

What types of things do you use the computer for? If it's gaming at all, the computer will not be decent (for that) 6 years from now without upgrading it.

What you want in a custom build is stuff that can still be upgraded later on to extend the life of the computer.

Post what sort of things you will use it for and if you will play games, because that determines how much of the budget goes towards better graphics capability.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:45 PM

When you're talking low price you can't build for what you can buy, the main reason is the operating system is going to take $100 or more out of your budget.

If you're okay with refurbished that can get you more machine for the money also.  I recommend keeping an eye on Woot! (an Amazon company).  Check in daily as their deals are for 24 hours.

Barring that Black Friday, or Cyber Monday, will probably have a deal for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users