Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

P.O.S. Rebuilt Dell E4200 Laptop. How do I reformat the hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kosh75287

Kosh75287

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:17 PM

Okay, the subject line says it all.

It's all virused up and something's wrong with the keyboard, and I'm tired beyond description of fighting EVERY program on it to download an anti-EVERYTHING program, How do I just wipe the f-f-f-f-f-fdarned thing's harddrive clean, so I can re-install from the recovery disc?

I keep hearing about programs that one may download for such a thing. Am I the only one who's suspicious of the notion of downloading a program, for the purpose of wiping out all the programs? I'm not very cyber-literate, but I can't imagine that it's difficult to write such a program with the mission: "Make all the old info on the computer no longer accessible to anyone...except me, the programmer."

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks.

Edited by Kosh75287, 07 November 2014 - 07:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,399 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:28 PM

If the 'recovery disk' has the Windows OS install on it or if it is a Repair Disk used to boot and then reinstall using the

Windows in the Recovery partition, then all you need to do is pop in the disk and reinstall following prompts. No need to

format using any other program. The clean install will wipe out any malware on the hdd.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Kosh75287

Kosh75287
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:46 PM

Thank so much!

Your signature line reminds me of a lyric from an old song, from which I could not escape all through my adolescence.

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon, And we got to get ourselves back to the garden."

SOMEwhere in all of that, there seems to be a glimmer of hope. ...though perhaps ONLY a glimmer...

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,399 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:18 PM

You are welcome...

That's an oldie....Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Woodstock

▶ Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Woodstock - YouTube

EDIT:  Written by Joni Mitchell.....and guess what....today is her birthday.....71

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JONI !

▶ Joni Mitchell ~ Woodstock - YouTube

Edited by buddy215, 07 November 2014 - 08:35 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users