Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to safely reset a computer for resell?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cricket4224

cricket4224

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:19 PM

I have an HP 2000 Notebook that I am selling on ebay.

I delete my Microsoft account, used the Recovery Environment and Minimized Image Recovery to do a full system factory restore, deleted my networking information, etc.

Would it be safe to sell this laptop on ebay now or could my files still be on this computer? I didn't have anything like passwords or bank numbers on it, just family photos and wordpad files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:39 PM

How about using CCleaner to wipe the free space against the possibility that someone might try to recover your files ?

If you install CCleaner on the machine, in the basic cleaner section at the very bottom of the scroll down list called 'Windows' you will see an entry marked 'Wipe free space'. Tick that box and run Ccleaner. I imagine - I've never done it - that it will take quite a time longer to run than a normal scan but should wipe any file remnants off your drive.

This will not wipe your drive to military standards but it should be enough to make life very difficult for anybody trying to recover data and it is a simple and easy method. If you don't have a copy you can download it here -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/ccleaner/

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:55 PM

Just to add to what Chris suggested, you can download the portable version of CCleaner here (the 2nd listing).  That way you don't even have to install it - just put it on a thumbdrive and run it from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users