Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 windows and 1 is preventing me from starting my computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OMGage

OMGage

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:17 PM

Hi, as the title says, I have two windows installed and one is screwing me over.

Awhile back my old primary hdd had my windows on it. It was getting suuuuper slow and I knew its time was coming. I made the upgrade to an ssd and installed windows on it. When I did that I had the option from booting from two windows. It didn't really bother me and I just used the ssd boot. Finally as I had suspected, my old hdd failed. I still had it in my computer and one day I just couldn't access it from the My Computer window. I didn't really think about it, but when I turned my computer off and got back on, my computer would tell me to install a proper boot drive and restart. This was preventing me from getting anywhere and I on a whim decided to unplug and plug back in the old hdd. I restarted and it loaded normally. The weird thing was that I couldn't access the hdd even though it started up. If I have the hdd unplugged the computer gives me the same message. I even set my 1st boot option to my working ssd. If the computer doesn't recognize the old hdd than it won't work. I have no idea how to fix this other that unplugging and plugging back in the hdd, but that tricks not even working.

Random info I dont have any windows cds or a CD drive. I have access to another laptop and thumb drives

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:53 PM

The BCD was probably on your HDD and not the SSD. Try doing a Startup Repair. It may take up to 3 times for a complete startup repair. You can download the iso file of Windows 7 that matches your version here. Use Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive. When starting Rufus opt out of any update check.

Edit: This would be done with the HDD disconnected. If connecting the HDD drive after startup repair causes a problem there is a way to solve that.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 November 2014 - 06:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users