Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop SONY vaio

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mondeo105

mondeo105

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:55 PM

Hi everyone,

Need a little help please from you experts out there!!!! my partners SONY vaio laptop has died I think, it will not boot up just a black screen, when you press the on button the "light" lights up as if its going to boot but then the fan kicks in and just shuts off, I have tried doing F8 at the start but still nothing.

Has it just passed over to the big laptop world or can it be repaired without me going to a repair shop and getting ripped off because they could fob me off with anything.

Hope someone can help me please

Thanks in advance

mondeo105

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

What is the model of this Vaio, and roughly how old is it ?

Do you get to see the BIOS screen when it starts - that's the one that says Sony Vaio or somesuch all over it - or do you not get any screen at all ?  If you do get the BIOS screen have a look and see what key it says for 'Setup'. This is usually either 'F2' or 'Delete' but it does vary. Then re-boot and press that key. If you saw the BIOS screen, this should now take you into the BIOS itself. The trackpad doesn't work in here, you need to use the arrow keys to move around. Move along the top line to 'Exit' and press 'Enter'. this will bring up a screen which among other options says 'Restore defaults and exit'. Select this one - with the arrow keys - then press 'Enter' again. This guarrantees that at least you have the system defaults set. The system will now try to re-boot. If it does, great. If not . . .

If this laptop is over three years old the battery may have died and I have known cases where a dead battery stopped a laptop starting even though plugged into the mains. Try taking the battery out and starting it just with the mains charger plugged in.

Post back and let us know how you get on with this. It may be that this Vaio is heading for its final reward but there is no doubt data on the hard drive that you may well want to recover which is not an overly difficult task.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 mondeo105

mondeo105
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:24 AM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me, I have no bios screen I have nothing just a black screen, you can hear the laptop trying to kick in then the fan boots in and then nothing, the power light just goes off.

I have tried every F key and the delete button but to no avail.

The laptop is a SONY vaio model number PCG 91111M which is on the bottom of the laptop and the  number inside the lid is VPCE04SOE, This laptop is roughly 3 years old and not done much millage.

I'm hoping someone can help me with this, don't fancy taking it to a shop and getting stung.

Again thanks for replying back to me

mondeo105

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,280 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:23 PM

I had hoped that you were at least getting the BIOS screen, but . . .

It is time to make sure that the hard drive and the RAM are both properly mounted. Here is a video that shows how to get at them -

I couldn't get sound to work on this video but you won't really need it, in any case I suspect the originator was Russian. The hard drive is easy to get at - you will see it being removed at about the 55 second mark. When he removes the base plate you will see the RAM at about the 4 minute 45 second mark. It is the fairly bright green rectangle right in the middle of the motherboard with eight black ICs on it.  Be aware that there may be two of them - looking at the video I can see clips for two even if there is only one RAM stick fitted to the demonstration model. There is no need to remove them, just make sure that the clips are home in the slots at each side of the RAM stick(s).

When you are doing this, touch the metal around the hard drive to earth yourself before touching the RAM, and it looks like you only need a small to medium sized Phillips screwdriver for the whole job. There is  no need for you to touch the fan and heat pipe assembly unless you feel the need to clean these parts while you are in there.

If both of these items appear to be securely mounted, then I believe you are looking at a power supply or other motherboard problem. I have no idea, at the moment, of the cost of a mobo but they demand an element of care and experience to replace which may be beyond you. If it comes down to that, you are probably as well considering a new laptop, unless somebody else chimes in with better ideas.

However, the video is not wasted. In the worst case - a new laptop - it shows you how to remove the hard drive. With the use of a 'caddy', a widely available external enclosure which uses a USB cable to connect to a computer, transferring data from this hard drive is a very simple operation. If you can't borrow a 'caddy' you will find them at Maplins, Amazon and e-bay.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 mondeo105

mondeo105
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:22 AM

Thanks for the reply Chris,

I have watched the vid and done what it says but still to no avail so I think its time to replace, still don't fancy taking it to a shop because they would charge me stupid money just to look at it then they would probably just fob me off with something or nothing.

So I will go and get myself a caddy from maplins and remove the data from the old hard drive, (was only looking at these 2 weeks ago as well) how uncanny!!!!

So Its time for a visit to computer shop I think.

Many thanks Chris for all your time and effort to try and resolve this issue for me.

mondeo105

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,280 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:54 PM

I think you are probably right with that decision, laptops being so heavily integrated. On a desktop like mine, a PSU goes bad ? Chuck another one in ! And so on for most components except the mobo. Changing that means a new copy of Windows as well if you use an OEM copy. However all is not lost.

Once you have copied the data off that drive, if you format it - which will remove its existing OS and applications - you will be able to use it as external storage !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 mondeo105

mondeo105
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:00 AM

Hi Chris,

That was my intentions with the old hard drive Chris.

Just need to decide on which laptop to get now.

Again Thanks Chris for all your advice

mondeo105

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users