Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to understand something about internet video

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:48 PM

When i watch videos online, almost always flash based but some html 5 ones as well, i see this unusual effect and was wondering if anyone knows why. When the connection is a bit poor videos go pixellated but not in a uniform fashion. Rather they pixellate when scenes show things like flowing water or rapidly moving camera shots amongst trees, but not at points in the video when the shots are steadier and dealing with simpler images (a man walking in an empty street, a car driving past,etc, someone talking to camera on a fairly plain background). I was wondering why this occurs. It is a genuine effect in the videos because logos in the corner will pixellate in the same way as the rest of the video frame, so it isn't just a pixellation which is applied equally to all shots but more visible when the shot depicts a more complex subject. Surely video footage data has to use the same megabytes per second whatever it depicts (assuming the dimensions of the frame stay constant) so why would it blur on complex scenes(fountains, crowds, water, fast passes through trees or columns) but not simple ones, when both should require the same amount of data transfer to play? I've noticed this for years and finally thought, "i might as well ask why".
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users