Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Printer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:21 PM

Hello. I have a PC laptop with Windows 7. I have a Brother multi-function printer that's about 12 years old. It still works fine. However, it and my new laptop don't get along too well. Whenever I want to print I have to delete the printer and reinstall. That gets old.

The problem is on this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/553369/printer-offline/

I thought I'd replace it with a wireless printer but wanted to ask does Windows 7 have a problem with printers in general? Would I just be buying a new printer and having the same problem?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:13 PM

No, windows 7 doesn't have a problem with printers in general. Driver support on windows 7 for a 12 year old printer is probably bad, and in some cases you couldn't get a 12 year old printer to work at all because it would have no driver.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:49 PM

Have you checked the Brother web-site to see if there are any newer drivers ?  12 years old puts you well back in the XP era. Have a look and see if there are Vista drivers if there are no Win 7 drivers. In many cases the Vista drivers will work with Win 7.

12 Years old ?  By here, it doesn't owe you anything !  I think the best I have ever got out of a printer is about 3-4 years.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:48 AM

Thanks, all. Yes, I've checked for drivers. And, yes, I'm lucky to have received 12 years from this old printer. And, nowadays, I find that I don't print as much but save as PDF.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users