Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best online backup service for encryption?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 WritingOnTheWall

WritingOnTheWall

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hey folks. I need a cloud backup service with great encryption. I also need to be able to backup from iOS devices as well as mac. And I need something affordable. I'm doing research but any suggestions will also be quite helpful! 

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:08 PM

It depends on how much data you are backing up for pricing but from what I have read this backup service has very good encryption though I have not used it personally. It will sync across multiple devices includinging Mac.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 November 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:12 PM

If giles are private enough that thye require encryption you should do it yourself then upload the encrypted file to the cloud service. That way the cloud service is not capabale of ever reading your encrypted files, think of it like locking a safe at your house then posting it to a friend to look after. As only you have the key your friened cannot open the safe. Most backup services have basic security of a form that means you must log in with your account and password to access your file, having an encrypted cloud service that unlocks it's encryption with the same passwrd as you use for login is notmuch help. Instead use a program like 7z (file compression utility available on this site) to put private files in an encrypted archive. then uload the encrypted 7z file to any cloud backup service you choose, gmail contains a free backu capacity for up to 15 gigabytes, others with free storage include mediafire (though they have a bit too many pop-ups on the downloading pages) and amazon but most email providers give you some aswell. So in short, encrypt the files for yourself with one strong password(use something like 7z although other equivalent programs exist), then upload the encrypted file to any cloud service you like, and make sure to use a different password for your cloud service account.

Sorry, misread your post. all that is true and ould work for windows mac or linux computers but probably not for iOS devices (like iphones) because thye couldn't run the 7z software. You might need to transfer the files via cable onto a windows mac or linux pc and then use 7z on that pc and then upload from the browser on that computer. All this can be done free though.

Edited by rp88, 07 November 2014 - 01:14 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 WritingOnTheWall

WritingOnTheWall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:41 PM

OK thanks folks! 

I'll await other replies as I come to a decision. 

#5 cyberSAR

cyberSAR

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:49 PM

We use Carbonite for a few of our clients. You can choose to allow Carbonite to manage your encryption key or manage it yourself which is more secure IMHO.

If you use the unlimited home/small office plan at $60/year you have to make sure all file-types and locations you want are set to backup. I find the software has a minimal impact on system resources and have used it to restore a few files on different machines with no issues. I found the upload spped to be very good on cable and dsl connections.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:53 PM

Mozy, Carbonite and Other Cloud Backup Services for the Lazy
Five Best Online Backup Services
The Best, Most Affordable Alternatives to Mozy for Unlimited Backups
Carbonite alternatives
7 Carbonite Alternatives – An Online Backup Pre-Purchase Guide

You may also want to read...The Myth Of Online Backup
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:38 PM

Here is the Comparison of online backup Wiki.  Personal encryption is the column you're interested in.  Personal encryption is where if you lose or forget your password all of your data is lost.  It also means that the service is unable to give your data to anyone else, only an encrypted version which only you have the password.

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:16 PM

"It also means that the service is unable to give your data to anyone else, only an encrypted version which only you have the password."

not necessarily true. If the service holds the password they can see it and they can potentially, if they decide to or are bullied/pressured into doing so, share the content of your private files with others. Also in some cases if you use encryption software which is provided for use with the particular service by the same compnay as runs that service then (and this is unlikely but technically possible)thye might have hidden a backdoor in the encryption method. For things sensitive enough to need security above that of a normal online backup service the user should encrypt the files themselves before upload. Such that when the files are downloaded the person downloading them (hopefully only ever the user who uploaded them) gets a meaningless pile of garbled data, which they must then decrypt once it is stored on their own computer. It's the difference between giving something valuable to a hopefully trustworthy but not guaranteed so group to lok after, or giving that group a locked box to look after which they can't open.

p.s. kilroy, useful link.

Edited by rp88, 08 November 2014 - 04:16 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:55 PM

not necessarily true. If the service holds the password.

That's the whole point of personal encryption, the service does not hold the password, only an encrypted copy of your data.  Encrypted with a password supplied by you.  The main thing to remember is that without the password you, or your heirs, will not have access to the data.  While it is technically possible for a service to bypass such an arrangement, ie storing your password as a header when the data is stored, if the service is trust worthy this will not be an issue.

The important thing to ask is "What happens if I forget my password?"  If the answer is anything other than you will be unable to access your data then the backup service can give someone else access to your data.

#10 cyberSAR

cyberSAR

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:13 PM

One of the reasons we chose Carbonite is they had HIPAA compliant plans. Most others did not.

#11 WritingOnTheWall

WritingOnTheWall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions guys!

I decided to go with IDrive. Their app works across iOS devices and Mac comps, which is what I need right now. But they're also compatible with Android and PC. 

They offer private key encryption, which I've chosen to use since it keeps the key to my data off of IDrive's servers so only I can access my stuff. 

They're also pretty affordable. They offer an unlimited mobile plan for under 5$. 

https://www.idrive.com/mobile/

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it works out.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users