Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 games freeze!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dragonflow

Dragonflow

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:48 PM

Hi forum! I'm new to this forum. I am searching desperately for a solution to my problem and this forum just seems great for most of my computer problems. Had windows 8.1 for almost a month things working well, then hell broke loose... My pc wasn't handling games, no more. It started when i installed an old game Castlevania Lords of Shadow(1). I couldn't get more than 15 minutes of gameplay, then PC will freeze image was still on screen, no sound  and it was not responsive to ctrl-alt-del / alt-tab / or alt-F4. After that all games began to freeze, some more often than others, manual restart was required every time. It got so damn worse that every boot shown startup repair, which never repaired anything, and windows 8 was barely logging in. PC was unusable! 

What i did notice , in the early freezes my pc would freeze when graphics card cooler was going crazy. I was sing expertool to monitor and set cooler speed proportional to GPU temperature. Uninstalled expertool , GPU cooler wasn't going that crazy i managed to get more than 30 minutes of gameplay but still freeze at some point. Also tried compatibility mode, and run as administrator and all things to make an old version windows game run on windows 8, none worked. 

Freezing became like a virus, PC began to freeze also when idling when no programs were running.

When i saw that at lower cooler speed i get more time playing i thought maybe it was the PSU. So i changed it, with my old PSU. Windows 8 booted in seconds with the new(old) PSU no idling freeze, but gameplay max 5 minutes. I know that my old PSU is good, because i use i on my very ancient pc. Now i am back to my old windows 7 fully updated all drivers installed (like in windows 8)  no random freezes just game freeze. 

I am confused if this is a hardware problem or software problem. I don't know what am i doing wrong. I was also looking forward to the next version of windows, but since windows 8 failed me, i don't know if windows is good for my build, of if my build is good for windows???

My pc configuration:

Motherboard :  ashrock m3a770de

processor : DualCore AMD Athlon II X2 250, 2929 MHz (15 x 195)
4 gb ram ddr3
HDD : TOSHIBA DT01ACA050 (465 GB)
Video Card: Nvidia gtx 650 1gb
PSU :Delux DLP-34A Model: ATX-600W P4 V2.3 (the old psu i am using now is a 450 W PSU)
and 3 coolers that are disconnected right now as i think my 450W psu won't be able to manage those.

Thank you in advande for any help!

The freeze is now a little bit different, pc feezes , theres a wierd loud sound in my speakers continuous loud sound till i restart it and screen is black, first freezes were no sound, image still on screen, and coolers went crazy.

Edited by Dragonflow, 07 November 2014 - 01:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:11 PM

Welcome,

If you uninstall the old game do you still have the problem?

If so, can you do a clean install of windows and your other software, WITHOUT the old game

If the problem persists you may need to consider reviewing your setup versus the required minimums for running windows 8.x.

Some of the better power supply manufacturers have power calculators on their sites. See how much power your system requires. Add 10% to 25% to that number, depending on your future plans for expanding that box, then buy / use a power supply that meets the requirement.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Dragonflow

Dragonflow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:26 PM

thank you for the reply!

As i said in the first post i did a clean install of windows 7 and also without planning it, i didn't install the old game. Instead installed new ones. Also went for the free online games like LOL and others from steam that are supposed to be compatible with windows 7 (now running) same freezes.

with windows 7 the freeze is still out there on all games. The problem i try figuring out is why the freeze on 1 psu is different than the freeze on ther other psu. I am planning to buy another PSU any advice on which are good? or what manufacturer make the best psu? I don't care about the money i spend as long as i have a fully working PC. If anyone doesn't want to read my first long post:

1.  freezes on 600W PSU : pc completely frozen non responsive, image still on screen, video cooler going crazy fast, manual restart (plus idle freeze, no fans running fast, just freeze);

2. freezes i have now(with 450 W PSU): no more  idle freeze, freeze only while playing games(all games freeze but minecraft, my  little brother is happy that this does not affect him) screen goes black and speakers play a wierd sound like 1 milion windows error sounds played at once repeatedly and very fast. (very annoying and loud sound)

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:29 PM

OK, I think that the 600W PSU is bad - voltages out of spec.

I also think that the 450 W PSU is a bit small for your system

I cannot recommend any one manufacturer but can say that There are several brands sold by reliable brick and mortar locations that should serve you well. I've had a few go bad and used the warranty service with no complaints

Others may chime in with brand names

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 Dragonflow

Dragonflow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:27 AM

ok, reinstalled windows 8, updated to 8.1 all windows updates checked and installed direct x drivers programs everything installed back. Windows store games work just fine like asphalt 8 or age of empires (maybe they don't require that much power to run), played continent of the ninth for like 30 minutes and i got a freeze with the weird sound black screen and had to do a manual restart.
Is there any chance that the computer behaves like this because of ram or hard disk? I am going to order a PSU but i just want to know if ram/hdd/processor/motherboard or video card can cause this??? i eliminate the video card because i got freezes even when pc was idle... But if i make an order for pc parts might as well throw in some other just for testing or spare parts.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:22 AM

Different games are going to make different demands on the components. Heat is also a factor. Have you run

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

to see if anything is getting too warm?

Seagate has a good diagnostic tool on their site to check out your HDD, Toshiba may also have one specific to their products.

Keep us posted

Dick

Dick E

#7 Dragonflow

Dragonflow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:25 PM

thank you for your help and links. what i am going to say will sound stupid. Yesterday when i started installing windows 8, i also cleaned the dust out of my pc, without noticing i blocked the GPU cooler with a cable. I thought that expertool was bad for my pc and at new win 8 installation, i didn't install it, but this way i couldn't monitor my gpu temp, when i installed the tools Paraclete gave me, i noticed that GPU was 67 degrees celsius i imediatelly installed expertool, set cooler on high, but no sound from cooler, opened case again and found that cable there. Removed the cable let the cooler run, now i ran my game at ultra high settings, cooler was going crazy but temperature was around 50~55 played for like an hour no freeze no lag. I know i made a stupid mistake but at least now i am certain that the PSU was at fault. Even though this PSU does not have all the pins , it misses 4 pins from motherboard and 4 from pcu.; it works great for the time being. Thanks again for the support, no one else helped me on other forums, i will recomend bleepingcomputer to others!

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:25 PM

:welcome:

You're most welcome

Glad we were able to help

:smilers:  :smilers:

Attention to detail is a must when you're inside the box or just beating on it :killcomp:

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users