Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Im going to upgrade my Computer are those parts good?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FallenMonk

FallenMonk

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:39 AM

Hello Ladies and Gentleman,

Would you be so kind and help me,
decide if those parts are good to go :)? :

1.Ram

Kingston HX316C9SRK2/8  8GB (1600MHz, CL9) DDR3-RAM Kit. 
2.Harddrive

Western Digital WD10EZEX Blue 1TB  (8,9 cm (3,5 Zoll), SATA 6Gb/s, 64 MB Cache)

3.Case

Zalman Z11 Plus Midi-Tower (ATX, 4x 5,25 , 5x 3,5 , 2x USB 3.0) 

4.Cpu

Intel Core i5 4670K  (3,4GHz, Sockel LGA1150, 6MB Cache) 

5.Motherboard

Gigabyte Z87X-D3H Mainboard  LGA 1150 (ATX, Intel Z87, DDR3 , 6x SATA III, HDMI, DVI, 10x USB 3.0)

please reply i´m open for any suggestions!

Thanks!

Edited by FallenMonk, 07 November 2014 - 10:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:41 AM

They are reasonable quality parts.  You say this is an upgrade, but the parts listed suggest a new computer more or less?  It would be helpful to know.  Also what are your intended uses for this computer?  At the moment, it's just a list of parts but with no context, all I can really say is that it's a nice list of parts :)

If it's a new computer, then you'll need a power supply.  And are you going to be using the CPU graphics or are you looking to use a dedicated GPU?

Regarding specific component selection, the Devils Canyon i5-4690K is the updated version of the processor you've chosen.  It's very slightly faster and has better thermal properties.  Unless there are specific reasons for choosing the older i5-4670K CPU (like getting a good deal on some older stock) then the i5-4690K is a better choice.

Are you planning to overclock the computer?  If so, you will need upgraded cooling, and possibly a motherboard with better VRM cooling etc.  If not, then you may save some money by going for a non-"K" version of the CPU.  The only real advantage of the "K" CPUs is that they are multiplier unlocked so allow easy overclocking.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 FallenMonk

FallenMonk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:51 AM

No problem,
I will list to you parts that i´m not looking to upgrade for now.

My Gpu:

Sapphire ati 7870 HD

My Power Supply:

600 Watt Corsair CX Series Non-Modular 80+ Bronze

My cpu cooling:

Artic Freezer 13

My intended use for this computer is gaming

Edited by FallenMonk, 07 November 2014 - 11:51 AM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:46 PM

Thanks.  OK that should all work together well.

OK as I say the i5-4690K generally retails at the same price which may be worth a look.  If you don't plan overclocking then the i5-4690 performs the same for a bit less cash (about $20 in the US).  Personally for overclocking I'd get a slightly higher end motherboard, something like the Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 or Asus Z97-A.  If OC performance is not too important to you I expect the Gigabyte Z87X-D3H will do the job, but check the BIOS is updated if you do go with any of the Haswell Refresh processors (like the 4690 or 4690K).

EDIT Sorry, I was getting the Z87X-D3H and Z87-DS3H boards confused.  The former looks like a higher spec board than the latter (which is a budget board).  So it was the Z87-DS3H motherboard I was thinking of when I thought it wouldn't be much good for overclocking, due to the basic VRM and lack of cooling on it. Still personally I'd go for the newer Z97 boards as they have a few enhancements and should all should support the Refresh CPU chips out of the box.

Edited by jonuk76, 07 November 2014 - 02:16 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 FallenMonk

FallenMonk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:02 PM

Thank you for your input i will consider to buy a i5 4690k Devils Canyon or a i5 4690 without the k,

also i think i go for the :

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5

as you suggested.

thanks again now i can buy without worrying to much :).

Edited by FallenMonk, 07 November 2014 - 03:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users