Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Torn between two Lenovo desktop towers ...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 panjorama

panjorama

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:09 AM

Hello Forum, it is easy to get bamboozled by the stats and jargon and I would welcome any advice on the 2 machines I have narrowed my search to.

I am replacing my old Dell desktop running XP and have a limited budget. I use the computer for web design and everyday surfing etc.  I am not an Adobe user - but will do some photo manipulation, graphics work using Paint Shop Pro or equivalent. I frequently have many different progams running and would love a fast machine. The old Dell is on its last legs - but after about 8 yrs of service.

CHOICE 1:  Lenovo H530s Desktop PC, Quad-core Intel i7-4790, 3.6GHz to 4.0GHz with Turbo Boost, 12GB RAM, HD 1TB + 8GB SSHD,  Shared Intel HD Graphics 4600

CHOICE 2: Lenovo H535s Desktop PC, Quad-core AMD A10-6700, 3.7GHz to 4.3GHz with Turbo Boost, 8GB RAM, HD 1TB, Dedicated AMD Radeon R5 235, 1GB

Choice 1 is £599 and Choice 2 is £399. But Lenovo are offering 20% off purchases over £500 - so Choice 1 comes down to about £480 - £80 more than Choice 2.

I think the main dilemma is the AMD v Intel one and the fact that Choice 1 has shared and Choice 2 dedicated graphics. Oh yes, and Choice 1 has 8GB SSHD.

If Choice 2 seems like a pretty good match for Choice 1 it saves me £80. But I could push the boat out for Choice 1 if it is significantly 'better'.

I'm going to team the desktop up with Asus MX239H 23" IPS HD LED-backlit LCD Monitor.

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:17 AM

Machine 1 is better for work, machine 2 is better for gaming.

Machine 1 will fit your work style better than machine 2 and I don't think that having the share graphics is going to be an issue.  That said, either machine will work for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users